Removable Steering wheel

Hi everybody,I’ve just been on the Eliseparts website and I think the removeable steering wheels look pretty cool, also a bit of a bonus on the crime prevention front! I just wondered how easy/hard they are to fit i.e. I’m no mechanic but do fancy one…Advise please…Peter

Peter, it is easy once you have got the hub off - for that I had to resort to a 3 - leg puller (for bearings etc.)

Peterthinking of going this way myself - I know geary also sells a puller for removing the original…just can’t seem to find the replacement one i want. it was disappointing that at the autosport show there were not more steering wheels available to see/handle. :frowning:

There were some nice carbon steering wheels, or a very nice one with stack dials integrated with the steering wheel. What more could you want!Cheers

Thanks for the input everybody, this def. my next project.

I find it harder to get in and out without the wheel attached - then I’m not the most supple person in the world!

quote:Originally posted by MarkD:There were some nice carbon steering wheels, or a very nice one with stack dials integrated with the steering wheel. What more could you want!CheersI understand that dials and lights on wheels are very passe now…Schumie is getting a headup display on the inside of his visor for this season…

Isn’t that being introduced on the new Dodge Viper, although on the screen? I am sure there will be aftermarket kits available in the near future. Then you could stride towards your car dressed up like Top Gun…Cheers

Just a warning and i do not know if this is true for the Exige, but i had a Momo 300mm one fitted to my Elise S2 and i could not see the dials past 45mph or 2-3000 revs as the top part of the wheel covered them. Ok i am 6" 2 but still had to crouch down. Basiclly it was a superb wheel with great feedback, but next time i would go for a slightly larger diameter one, say the same as the Lotus std one, 320mm i think. I would say as well it ‘moved’ a little in the hub so some thread tape around the inside of the actual wheels hub would sort it out i was told.Mark.