Refixing headlight perspex cover

Hi All,

Had an irritating leak in one of the headlamps, (making my headlamp mist up every hot sunny day! ) so took off the cover today. Underneath was a very gooey black sealant / adhesive which was a bugger to clean off the headlamp. So two questions:

1. I’ve worked out turpentine substitute gets the glue off the headlamp cover like a dream, so can I safely use turps on the paintwork to get the rest of the muck off?

2. What black sealant / adhesive would you advise for me to re-glue the cover back on with?

Thanks - Carttman

1. What black sealant / adhesive would you advise for me to re-glue the cover back on with?

Try this stuff from EliseParts.

http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=105_161&products_id=500

Homelux bath seal from B&Q, it’s the same sort of thing as Eliseparts sell but only costs �5 and there is enough to do about 8 covers.

Homelux bath seal from B&Q, it’s the same sort of thing as Eliseparts sell but only costs �5 and there is enough to do about 8 covers.

Spot on!

Got some clear bath sealer to do mine and some natty little pins from Eliseparts so that I can take the covers off to clean them and replace them without having to reseal them every time-dont know if they still do them.

Thanks guys …off to B&Q I go!

Now on the turps substitute side, any comments? How did you all get that black gunk off the paintwork?

Cheers

Thanks guys …off to B&Q I go!

Now on the turps substitute side, any comments? How did you all get that black gunk off the paintwork?

Cheers

Use ‘Isoprop thinners’ or a de-greasing agent… Basically acetone based… stinks to high heaven but does the biz very well!

Someone should tell DaveP about this thread

Deffo use the Homelux Bath Sealant, also available from Wickes.

Deffo use the Homelux Bath Sealant, also available from Wickes.

So is this the same product as sold by Eliseparts or in their words “beware of cheap imitations”?