Refitting S1 Exige Rear Clam

Evening chaps,

Is there a particular way of fitting the rear clam with trying to avoid over streching or scratching / damaging the bodywork?

My S1 goes for final paint next week and when I’ve been assembling it to check fit and finish its a bloody pain in the arse to fit without risk of damaging something - everytime something is scratched or slightly damaged… easy to fix whilst in primer, but I’d like to avoid making a mistake when its all painted and shiny…

Current method is using three people (wheels off) two holding the arches and pulling the bottom sill covers away, whilst the third is supporting the back. I’m trying to get it to slide level along the longerons at the same time. Exhaust is removed too.

Is there a better way, or can anything else be modified to make it easier ? Or is it the case of lots of masking tape to protect the paint and pray for the best ?

Cheers Andy.

1 Like

Pretty much masking tape everywhere and go at it gently, but confidently - pausing halfway sometimes causes more issues. Have the three people do a couple of trial runs while still in primer. Take off the fuel filler neck, as it getting jammed doesn’t help.
We used to modify the clamshells when racing them, but it’s not such a good look for a road car.

1 Like

a think bed sheet over the sills stops scratching and can be removed easily enough after

1 Like