Rear Window / Engine Cover

Hi All,

The first genuine question from me, the first of many I’ll bet.

I’ve never seen an Exige in person and my one will be here in 6 weeks time Now, in photos, the engine cover on the S1 looks like it’s heavily tinted. Is this correct or is it just an optical illusion? I’m just asking because if the tint is too dark, I may get pulled up here as the darkest tint we’re allowed on any window is 35%VLT (visible light transmission). Now, there are possible ways for me to skirt around this, but I just want to know if I should start making enquiries now or whether it should be fine as is.

There not as dark as they look in pictures, but i dont know what % they are.

Just tell them you cant see f*&%k all out the back anyway

Can you remove the rear view mirror? I took mine off my “S” as soon as I got it as it was useless…

Ive got a tint meter and might be able to help you out here.

Ive got a tint meter and might be able to help you out here.

If you could give me a VLT estimate, then that’d be GREAT

I’ve seen photos from the inside looking out and it looks near-clear, but there’s obviously some tint.

If it IS too dark, ironically the way around it will be to actually register the car as a pickup, which I can do because the rear window is not tinted (the one that separates the engine bay from the cabin)… but the rear window on utility canopies can be 100% blanked out!

HEhe I’m assuming this isn’t going to be a problem but I’m just starting to put paperwork together and am trying to think of any prblems that may arise before they do

If it is a problem, would the motorsport cover be a possible solution? The openings are very small, and visibility is much worse, but the light transmission through the holes is 100%

Brendan… it would be… there’s the other option of taking it for a WOF with the engine cover removed, although this will be a hassle.

35%VLT is VERY dark, so I’m pretty confident that the engine cover will be fine, and I’m thinking that they won’t pull me up anyway… it’s more to stop the boyracer tyeps putting silly-dark tints on their car.

I have the ability to argue that the REAR WINDOW is, in fact, clear… it’s the ENGINE COVER that’s tinted… given that there’s no law on rear visibility (how you get by with an Exige S) then I’m sure I’ll be ok.

Your suggestion of registering it as a pickup reminded me of this:

Your suggestion of registering it as a pickup reminded me of this:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/04/03-lotus-elise-load-lugga/_Lotus-Elise-Load-Lugga.jpg >

HAHAHAHA that’s GOTTA be a pi$$take

Note the date:

CLICKY

I think it actually originated from Lotus. Nice to know they have a sense of humour.

If by 35%VLT you mean that is the minimum light level after the tint I.E. 65% of light is blocked out when passing through the window then have no fear, 'cause it ain’t nowhere near that dark

just to get this right:

-if rear windows is clear means you can register it as a pickup anyway? Not important what ever comes behind the rear window?

Hm, if you register the exige as a pickup pleeeaaase send me a scan of your registration

you really have funny laws down there

And please report here what the WOF guys say, I’m so curious…

by the way, this is gonna be a loooong time until you get the car (sorry to say that), 'cause when I read your thread I can FEEL how impatient and excited you already are (would be the same with me )

go and try to find out other useful things before the baby arrives, such as: Where can I get the Castrol 10w60 oil (or similar)?.. Where can I get the appropriate tires (and you will get them all the time…)… get a service manual and a parts list…

You also might go find informations for other helpful bits and parts, such as shortshifter, 3-point belts (in addition to the harness belts) for cruising in Auckland, white side indicators, steering wheel hub extensions if needed, etc etc.

Have fun and keep on posting here

just to get this right:

-if rear windows is clear means you can register it as a pickup anyway? Not important what ever comes behind the rear window?

Hm, if you register the exige as a pickup pleeeaaase send me a scan of your registration

you really have funny laws down there

And please report here what the WOF guys say, I’m so curious…

Yeah well the ruling is that “No windows are to be darker than 35% VLT”. However, on a pickup (ute) with a deck canopy, you’re allowed to have the tailgate window as dark as you like. Now, I knoe it’s a stretch, but an Exige minus the engine cover is essentially a pickup, you’ve still got an enclosed cabin with a real rear window… therefore I can claim my Exige is a pickup and the engine cover is merely a canopy window

As an aside I’ll probably be tinting the side windows dark… want to keep ptyin eyes out of the car… we have BIG car theft problems in NZ

[quotep
by the way, this is gonna be a loooong time until you get the car (sorry to say that), 'cause when I read your thread I can FEEL how impatient and excited you already are (would be the same with me )[/quote]

Yeah, it’s going to be a BIG wait! Having said that it’s going to be nice, it’s been VERY stressful getting the purchase of the cr organised… when it’s on the boat I can relax and try to start organising things here, which will be less stressful (hopefully)

go and try to find out other useful things before the baby arrives, such as: Where can I get the Castrol 10w60 oil (or similar)?.. Where can I get the appropriate tires (and you will get them all the time…)… get a service manual and a parts list…

Already ahead of you… I’ve got the Elise parts manual sorted, and my mate Ken at Lotus NZ has all the factory manuals I’ve already sourced local supply of A048LTS tyres . I’ve also sourced supply of TMR rims from Japan, which I’ll be getting around the end of the year… plan to save pennies and run 039s on the road as of about February and 048s for the track on TMR rims. As for the oil, that’s the sort of questions I’ll be asking, how best to keep my baby healthy

You also might go find informations for other helpful bits and parts, such as shortshifter, 3-point belts (in addition to the harness belts) for cruising in Auckland, white side indicators, steering wheel hub extensions if needed, etc etc.

Have fun and keep on posting here

Heh well the car’s already got the shortshifter done, as well EXACTLY the mods I was planning to do to it anyway (toelinks, remote stat etc.). Probably won’t do the clear repeaters as I prefer the look of the orange ones on the Exige (I think!). I also prefer the original steering wheel in the Elise/Exige to any other aftermarket wheel, althoigh having that on a removable bosskit would be cool.

Don’t worry lads, now that I’ve got an exige underway, I’m going to be a bit of a post-whore around here… doubt I’ll ever rival Mr Pesky’s prolific psting, but I’m set to become a regular

pulls up a chair and orders a pint

just wanted to ask if the car is registred as a ute now or not?