Rear Clam Protectors

can enyone enlighten me on the shape /section of the rubber extrusions that protect the leading edge of the clam down by the doors.
I have been supplied with a length of extrusion which is supposed to be “official” but its not going to stay in place for long as it will only be gripped by the top 2-3 inches…

Do you have a picture of the “official” item you have ?

Bear in mind, you’re supposed to undo the clam bolts at the bottom/underneath to make a gap large enough to put the protector in place.

Its a U shaped channel with an extra flange on one side of the top of the U…|_|-- try that !!

If I undo the bolts and slip the flange section between the clam and cill I.ll have a “double Thickness” of the
U channel to fend off stones BUT at the bottom under the cill the gap is wider than the thickness of the rubber so it will just flap around…
Seems to me that the protector should be just u shaped??
OR have I got it completly wrong???does the channel section fit over clam and flange bit poke in to take up the slack??

at the bottom under the cill the gap is wider than the thickness of the rubber so it will just flap around…

Undo the two stainless hex head bolts on the door post, next undo the three bolts underneath the car. Fit the protector and then you have to push the clam from the side tight in before tightening the bolts underneath first. This way you should get a flush fit to the rear clam to cill interface. Just be careful that you only slide it in to fit flush rather than bend it. If the bolts are undoone enough you should be able to feel the difference. The gap will open again over time and allsorts of road debris and big stones will work there way in.

Its a good idea to get a high pressure hose and spray it between the two panels to get all the dirt and debris out after loosening all the bolts.

I can’t remember what the Lotus protectors looked like - i threw mine away shortly after receiving them as they were a poor solution. Much better to fit heavy duty flexible edging protectors that have this profile:

[image]http://www.pvcextrusions.co.uk/images/plastestrip/edging/bind2.png[/image]

MrBean

It’s the flat edge (you say flange… tee hee…) that actually protects the clam edge.

The U shaped bit doesn’t actually go over the clam in the way you would intuitively expect. I think the U shaped bit might actually go inside the gap and over the sill edge such that the ‘flange’ is left providing the flush edge against the rear clam exposed edge… IYSWIM… wish i had a digi camera