Re anodising Eliseparts Ally Bells

Why only 40% of the bolts?

Ian

Why only 40% of the bolts?

Ian

Well there are ten bolts in each disc, so it can’t be a percentage thing, ie, if there were only five then each would be 20% and you could not spec 50%!

It can only really be a guesstimate based on visual inspection on dismantling or a compromise on swapping them all based on cost?

nice one Steve

ta

Simon

For �3/side? I’d replace them all!

For �3/side? I’d replace them all!

That’s for the nuts - assuming that they are the correct size, the bolts are 75p each from Geary.

When you’re paying �250 for a trackday and about �200 for the fuel for the day, I don’t thing that’s a lot

spot on …although with the return mileage, I imagine that its a good % of the wear on a set of tyres, a few litres of oil, a chunk out of the cambelt…the list goes on…

mhaney

are you sure you can re-anodise ? isn’t it a chemical reaction and once its done… its done ?

The re-anodizing ptrocess involves removing the first anodizing with acid.
Then re-anodize.

spoke to a bloke locally who is doing it for me (he actually makes bells and anodises them).

Yes they need to be stripped first. Takes about a micron off then the anodising puts about a micron back on…so I have been told

PLus what do you class as “semi” floating??? In my experiance a disk is either floating or not.

Just trawling the AP website and they mention the Strap Drive Discs (Patent Pending)

[image]AP Racing

which could be considered halfway between floating and fixed…semi floating?

More on the fascinating subject of the nuts used on the bells…AP used to use Cleveloc

[image]AP Racing

A torque prevailing nut of all metal construction. The collar of the nut is elliptical in cross section and it is this that provides the flexible locking element. The nut is pre-lubricated to reduce the tightening torque. Cleveloc is a registered trade name of Forest Fasteners.

but now have specified Philidas Mk V (which are manufactured in my home town )

[image]AP Racing

PLus what do you class as “semi” floating??? In my experiance a disk is either floating or not.

Just trawling the AP website and they mention the Strap Drive Discs (Patent Pending)

[image]> http://www.apracing.com/pics/cp3700t1060t2_cp5555.jpg> [/image]

which could be considered halfway between floating and fixed…semi floating?

Naaah, they’re perfectly and fully floating

I found a man locally who can do it for me.

He also makes racing parts bells and the like so he should be a good man to know.

Ended up speaking to him for about 40 mins on the phone. He’s had Elans and Etypes etc… in the past

mhaney
do you know how much it’ll cost to re-anodise 4 bells ?

mhaney

Rox,

Are you the only Lotus owning track driving welsh speaking campanologist, or do you all hide in Scotland?

Timj.

LOL…

there is some synergy betwixt welsh and scots… we like the wild hillsides and have the best roads… now where did i put my tent

mhaney

I think he said �40??? Have not had chance to drop em off yet. Am planning to do so this week.

LOL…

there is some synergy betwixt welsh and scots…

ahem… Baaaaaaaaaaaaa

\

OK chaps this is the chap who is reanodising my Elisparts bells.

Tony Colour Anodisers

He can also sort making bespoke bells and all sorts of bespoke kit. He’s been making bits for racing motors for years.

Just started doing his own rotors

i cant recommend him yet as its the first job he will have done for me. Seems a decent chap anyway.

Ring him if you want to chat email is [email protected] (email addy on website is not working)

cheers

Simon