Randy's Honda Exige

Had the pleasure of driving Randy’s car yesterday evening

Thanks, mate - fantastic

But you always say that of any Exige you drive!

Confess, you like them sooo much, can’t get enough of them!

Uldis

You are of course 100% correct, but I don’t care

The Honda conversion is, however, my personal preference of all the Exiges/Elises I’ve driven or been passengered in

Had the pleasure of driving Randy’s car yesterday evening

Thanks, mate - fantastic

No problem mate, any time.

Big thanks for all your hospitality. Also thanks to Russ for taking me for a spin in the GayLardy - absolutely awesome!! Following him down those tiny coutry lanes at full chat is something I won’t be forgetting.

Russ, you should have swapped keys with Randy. His VTEC seems a lot gentler than yours.

I must say, it made me tempted again. Thanks Randy.

Ian

His VTEC seems a lot gentler than yours.

Is there any material difference between the two or is this just a sensed dfference?

I’d be very interested in that too. Russ’ felt far more like a turbo kicking in, I could hardly feel Randy’s.

I know Maidstone, who did Randy’s, have been playing around with ECU mappings, with a new one to come shortly.

Any which way, both made me laugh at the speed (of which the car should have had in the first place).

Ian

Steve

Randy’s car’s power delivery definately feels more linear than Russ’s. I think (no doubt he will confirm) Randy’s is mapped so the Vtec comes in at around 4500rpm, whereas Russ’s is around the 5500rpm mark. In saying that, both cars have plenty of umph even before these rpm figures, & rev to well over 8000 (Difficult to know the exact revs, due to exceeding the dial’s calibration).

I was looking at the rev counter! Things were happening even quicker than I was use to!

Ian

what’s the benefit of having the Vtec at the higher revs? Whose kit is the Maidstone one - any relaton to the Blink one?

Mine had been reflashed by Hondata in the U.S. before I bought it off Matt. It started life as a JDM, which are configured differently anyway, as I found out when I swapped to my current one after using Blink’s (UK) ECU for a while. Afterwards, it was much more aggressive and further up the range. At a guess, I would say that it is more track orientated because you get more power but in a narrower band???

The JDM engines have a wilder second cam than the UK engine and that probably accounts for some of the difference in VTEC engagement between the two cars. The biggest difference though is probably the exhaust manifold on mine (4-2-1 as opposed to 4-1) which gives much more torque, probably smoothing out the transition to the second cam.

I’m due a bit more torque when I get the latest ECU reflash after a couple of days mapping has been spend on the rollers. This will make the VTEC transition more pronounced as the torque curve shoots up as soon as VTEC engages and is fairly flat all the way through to the red line. Red line is set at 8600 on mine but it may not be the same as Russ’, they can run up to 8,900 reliably.

what’s the benefit of having the Vtec at the higher revs? Whose kit is the Maidstone one - any relaton to the Blink one?

No benefit to the second cam coming in higher other than better MPG. Most remaps lower the engagement point so you have the bigger cam for longer periods.

Maidstone’ kit is, to a degree, related to the Blink one. It’s the most developed kit out of all of them and very very neat.