Rainwater

We all get this problem…When I put the Exige in the garage after it has been rained on, I always use a chamois leather to dry it off. The next time I drive it the rain finds its way onto the radiator and I drive around for the first 20 mins emmitting clouds of steam like the radiator has split. Where does the water collect? Why doesn’t it drain away naturally, without falling on the radiator? Where do I mop it up from so it doesn’t fall onto the radiator?

ToneOne of life’s mysteries… First time I saw that steam - had kittens! - nearly unleased contents of fire extinquisher!

I think the water collects in the radiator vanes - even though they are holes that go straight throughIm sure there is a technical term for it, but it is like when you do the washing up and ty to wash out a sieve or collander - many of the holes end up being “filled” with water.Short of taking to the rad with an airline every time you park, I can’t see any way round it.Has anyone tried RainX or similar on the windscreen to see if that minimises the effect?

It’s called the capillary effect, and yes, the water stays in the radiator vanes.The thing is that for that fluid viscosity, the gap is enough for the water to cling to the radiator vane walls.Don’t worry, it’s a “documented feature” of our cars.Uldis

You know what they say:-If it happens to all cars, its a feature, if it happens to just one, then its a problem!(adapted from life in software development!) quote:Originally posted by Tone:We all get this problem…When I put the Exige in the garage after it has been rained on, I always use a chamois leather to dry it off. The next time I drive it the rain finds its way onto the radiator and I drive around for the first 20 mins emmitting clouds of steam like the radiator has split. Where does the water collect? Why doesn’t it drain away naturally, without falling on the radiator? Where do I mop it up from so it doesn’t fall onto the radiator?

Yea, its funny standing at the lights after getting the car washed (quick drive to dry discs before putting back in garage…avoids rust…sad git I am) People will sit and point at you as the water steams out of the front,shouting "call the AA, mate!"Haha bloody ha…