Protecting newly nickel plated wishbones / anodised calipers

As you can see I have some refurbed bits for the Elan.
I think the wishbones will just get some wax ( unless any other suggestions), the the gold coloured anodised caliper could pehaps do with a bit more.
Will POR 15 (clear) adhere to it?
Will it make it look crap?
If the caliper ever needs reconditioning again, does POR come off with whatever they use ( presumably a shot blast)?

Graeme it will shot blast off, that’s not a problem. Clear POR 15 does go yellow in direct sunlight so you need to take that into account. Only really a problem if painting over silver. I bought my POR from Frost’s, might be worth asking them before you buy to check it will adhere but I would have thought it likely. Try a test piece.

Looking good regardless mate.

I would be more worried about those dodgy computer chips :ugeek:

:mrgreen:

If that is yellow-passivated zinc on the calipers then it shouldn’t need any additional protection. However you could use a high temperature lacquer if you wanted to, bearing in mind the temperature brakes can reach.

It seems the only thing the rears on an Elan do is supply a few kilos of extra weight. I don’t think they work too hard.
The zinc does eventually give itself up, I’d imagine, to oxidation. I wondered if keeping moisture off it might be useful in extending it’s life?
POR seems to be pretty hardy so I thought it may be OK on the caliper.

I had a look through the Por15 website but couldn’t find temperature resistance; however the fact that they list a specific ‘caliper paint’ suggests the standard stuff might not be suitable.

In any case, if it needs blasting to remove, that is going to result in damage to the zinc finish, meaning you would be back to square one with your calipers.

Fair comment, thanks.

I didn’t do my brake calipers Graeme, it’s not as though I’m going to use the car everyday.

EFA

:laughing: