Pilbeam

Hi All

Has anyone had any experience with Pilbeam products, any good?

I’ve always rated highly Pilbeam’s engineering, with their extensive motorsports background and was very tempted by their MP102 carbon chassis as the ultimate Exige upgrade!

I’ve had some of their components on my Sport Elise since 2004 and I’m yet to wear anything out or have any component failures, which I think for something that spends it’s life on slicks/wets in 20-25 minute races is very impressive.

Is there anything in particular you want to ask about?

Yes, some hubs, antiroll bar and the wish bones with the tie rods. Might do put it all on the same time as the Ohlins. Is there anything else I should be looking at while it’s in bits?

The full uprights/hubs will give you a 40mm ride height drop but are really S2 spec with regard to wheel offsets etc, meaning a change of wheels is required to fit any S1. You’d also have to have the brake kit with the uprights as neither bells or calipers carry over, discs might depending on what size you have now. Wishbones and ARB shouldn’t be a problem.

That’s great thank you.

Do you have any other recommendations for hubs?

I’ve tried some of the Eliseparts S1 OEM spec hubs and they’re the most adaptable for allsorts of caliper and disc sizes depending on a range of spacers and brackets they also sell.
I had their some of their early S1 GT hubs quite a while back as the larger bearings and 16mm rideheight drop etc appealed to me but it just wasn’t possible to get the bumpsteer anywhere near within spec on the rear, hence the change to the OEM spec (Eliseparts customer service was exceprtionally good about it) I notice that the design of the rears seems to have changed quite a bit since then as amongst other things the ones I had were a version that were useable with the brembo rear calipers, the new ones don’t seem to be.

I’ve had their ARB for the S2 and it worked really well. What was surprising after speaking to others is that it actually fitted. I’ve heard the odd bit of fettling is sometimes required, but not on that product.
( PS, I’d recommend it. Dave can source their stuff)