Only one set of S1 Speedline Mags left before Oct

Speedline have just let me know that there’s currently only one set of Mags left for the S1 Exige.

The next lot is due after the Italian August break, around end of Sept (or so, if experience is anything to go by).

Ian

Noooo don’t make me think about Speedlines,…I’m only going to want to buy them

How much by the way

How much by the way

They really are incredibly light

Hmm… only 1 set… I don’t like the idea of having a set and then bending one… not being able to replace it.

How much by the way

Sorry Ben, I keep doing that (“toe-links, toe-links, toe-links” ).

Cost the same as before I believe - see here

Ian

Hmm… only 1 set… I don’t like the idea of having a set and then bending one… not being able to replace it.

Unlike original Exige wheels which are easy to find

Gentlemen, check your locking wheel nuts!

Gents - I’m afraid I bought these today

Fear not though, the very amiable Dave Williams said they would place another order with the factory in the next few months. He has a front and a rear still in stock for people who bend one or other, but don’t need a full set.

I was staggered by Dave’s knowledge. You’d think the S1 Exige was the only car he’d ever dealt with!

Just got to save up for some tyres to put on them now!

Glad to hear that they are sold because it was at the back of my mind that I would need to buy them Quite enough car expenditure planned already…

I thought these wheels were half the weight of the original Exige Rimstock jobbies, someone said they weren’t.

Anyone know ?

I don’t think it’s half, but they certainly feel less.

Ian

Hi Alex,
Can you please weigh them?
We need an end to the guessing

This help?

Few people buy them for the weight reduction. They’re the original Elise Motorsport wheel, are more agressive and I believe they are cheaper than new Rimstocks.

Even though wheels are the best place to save weight, you’ve got to be really good to actually save lap time with them (even then it’d be very small); they’re not really a performance advantage. Although I do reckon you can hear/feel them coming back down quicker when driving over cats-eyes (a ‘da-bop da-bop da-bop’ rather than a ‘daa-booop daa-booop daa-booop’).

Ian

I would weigh them guys, but it looks like the fronts might have to go back…

One has a ding in it and the other has some quite bad flaws in the casting…

You can imagine my face when opening the box and pulling away the foam sheet!!

Guess I’ll be on to Dave in the morning!

Alex.

Even though wheels are the best place to save weight, you’ve got to be > really > good to actually save lap time with them (even then it’d be very small); they’re not really a performance advantage.

They can make you faster in two ways:

• less rotational inertia and overall weight (hardly felt really)
  • better suspension action by the means of less unsprung weight, so the tyre can follow the road better. This means you need to play with your shocks in order to make it follow better. That menas actually knowing when to turn up/down rebound or bump damping.

Not easy, eh?

Walshy reckoned they’re worth about a hundreth of a sec.

I love them though!

Ian

A hundredth if you rely on the mass savings.
1,2,3,4,5 (how long is a piece of string?) secs if you can optimize the shocks for them.
I know firsthand how important it is to set the shocks righ, I could save up to 2 secs a lap in my old days when racing bikes…

Thanks, but I don’t know the weight difference between the 048s and slicks

I think the weight saving is noticable on the track, based on lap times, not just my feel (weight saving is more noticable on a power track perhaps). Just got some new forged alloy wheels that are 14kgs lighter than rimstocks

It would be useful to know the specifics of those wheels Hubert (ie. Manufacturer, style)

sure sure

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=47774&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1&PHPSESSID=