Old Chestnut...S1 Honda vs S2 S

This old fart is returning to Exige ownership after a brief spell proving he is not a racing driver!

SO the choice is Original S1, S1 Honda or dare I say it S2 240

Fun use including Track Days, pub days and some touring with STMBO

I am sure this has been discussed many times so please point me to the links …

Have fun all.

PS anybody near East Anglia with a Honda S1 prepared to take me for a spin???

Welcome back Clive!!!

Without being caused of heresy, if I were you I would go for the S2 240 mate.

SWMBO will love that car… the probax seats are comfortable and make a long drive possible, I drove mine non stop (apart from fuel!!) from Birmingham to Spa! MUCH quieter and no ear defenders required as per a recent thread! A/C too!!! Easier to get in and out of! Toyota reliability and no petrol smells etc etc! They also seem to be now holding value as well.

Plenty quick enough around a track but you can go faster with some better dampers and I gather the 260 upgrade is a big positive too!

If the car is JUST for you, an original S1 of course… but you HAVE been there and done that twice now!

Anyway, they are all great… the Honda S1’s are just mentally quick, especially with the SC fitted. If you can get 10/10ths out of one around a track, that would tick your racing driver box… but bloody hard to do consistently!

Good luck! :>)

What Pete said :smiley:

Ditto! :smiley:

Heresy, hypocrisy and bunch of others things! :astonished: :wink:

Like you say, bit like a racing car, just what somebody returning from a race car needs. :smiley:

If I were you with your anticipated usage then it’s hard to ignore an S2 240 - much more rounded than an S1.

S1 has more drama in my opinion and for me it’s more of an event. But it’s also more of a compromise for more of the time if you genuinely want it to tick road and track boxes.

If it has to be an S1 then my personal preference is for Honda but you should read John’s sage words on the standard vs modified thread. As a real alternative to an S2, a well sorted NA Honda would be my choice. I absolutely love my SC+CC car but NA is probably the sweet spot for mixed-use and reliability.

There’s a few of us out at Donny next month on the 21st, why don’t you come?

This!

Had my NA Honda for 7.5 years. While I have been tempted to SC & CC over the years, I just think it’s the perfect balance performance/weight. Still really involving to drive and rapid enough when ‘driven’ properly. Perfect road/track car.

Had my n/a S2 Honda for 5 years and great car but now enjoying the more civilised world of 240pp Exige, maybe not quite as quick as the Honda car but more rounded

Sunday blat choice - I do miss the event of the Honda
Weekend touring choice had to be the exige
Track day choice I would say nothing between them

Great cars both of them and wish you Happy choosing !

Yeah I agree, if you are thinking road trips with the other half an S2, especially a later balck dash 240PP car is sooooooo much more refined than any S1. Even on standard suspension they are great fun on track.

As a Honda S1 owner, I’d also agree… if you are genuinely going to use the car for some long trips and touring, then I would go for an S2… actually, if I was going to get a car for touring, I don’t think I’d be looking at an Exige at all !

Expect to get destroyed on track by the S1 Honda’s though :wink:

Muahahahahaa!

Have you considered an Evora?

Just a thought :astonished:

Look forward to it :smiley:

Yeah Dave is probably right. Looking at what you can get a lovely Boxster S for these days, I don’t think I would consider an Exige for mostly road work. You could buy a nice Boxster S for road trips and an S1 Elise for track work and have change left out of S2 240PP money.

Hey, fook the pork. Get an Evora :mrgreen:

Well thats a good response Thanks guys…

I’ve come to the conclusion an S2 S240/260 will be the best bet…having had 2 S1’s and LOOOOOOve them maybe the S2 is better suited to my back , reliability at track days and 'er indors wanting a short trip somewhere that does not entail shopping ???

SO anybody selling preferably an Orange variant???
Keep having fun guys

Old Mr Bean

Good move Clive!

Why don’t you provide Scott Walker with your requirements and see what he can turn up for you…keep up up to date.

Race car and trailer went today… Sob sob… :cry: .end of era and all that…now I,ve got an empty garage which needs filling. With something Lotus,',
Any of you guys in East Anglia area willing to give me a ride around the locality in your S2 ?[/size

come on I need cheering up.

Could I justify the S2 ,260 and an S1 Honda ?? all for ME :smiling_imp: . She’s got her Audi A1/S1 Quattro and LOVES it so doesn’t want to go touring in the Lotus Ha :stuck_out_tongue: Ha

Children are definitely NOT getting any inheritance now :laughing:

So you’ve bought that grey S1 then Clive… :smiley:

Yes, yes you can :sunglasses:

Sounds good to me.