Oil Catch Tank

Oil consumption seems to be going up (1/2l + in 70 miles of Spa, mostly @7000RPM)
Whilst it wont cure the consumption I would like to fit an oil catch tank.
No probs sorting and fitting BUT need advise re the pipes coming from the cam cover .
the one going to the air box is obvious but where does the other one come/go to and if I route its cam box tube to tank what happens to the other end of the pipe??
Do I make myself clear usually not

The one pipe goes into the “purge rail” and the other goes into the air box via a hole in the backplate.

So the best solution is:

• Remove the purge rail and all its pipes
  • Remove the charcoal canister ( there is a pipe from the purge rail to that ) and just tape up its electrical connection
  • Block off the small pipes that go direct into the inlet manifold some way. I just used a short length of hose with a 5mm cap head screw pushed in to blank it.
  • Take breather out of airbox back plate and plug hole in back plate with a rubber grommit.

Then its upto you where you mount catch tank and if you use two pipes or the very special ( expensive ) Lotus hose that connects both cam cover ports to one hose.

Thanks Andy …Perfectly clear.

Will this mod do anything to the MOT emissions??
Removing all those pipes certainly improves the look of the engine.

Will this mod do anything to the MOT emissions??

Photos PLEASE!

Technical numpty here!

What does an oil catch tank actually do and what are the advantages?

Thanks!
Neal.

And reduces the chances of air leaks. And weight.

What does an oil catch tank actually do and what are the advantages?

There you go, mate http://www.matrixv6.co.uk/html/throttle_body___oil_catch_tank.html

According to that Rob its a fail then. …But your rice burner is fitted with a tank and I guess that is OK So I’ll go ahead anyway as its going to give me .00000002% power increase…

Oil catch tanks in my opinion are a very very good thing. All engines breath, all engines have crank case pressure and that has to be vented. Like Peskys link says breathing oil laden shitty air back into your engine is not a good thing, it actually increases the chances of pre ignition, which we all know is a bad thing.

Normally you will breath the engine from the rocker cover and the crank case. I have about a 1.5 litre tank, but and this is the key in my opinion, I have a return from the bottom of the catch tank back to the sump (below the oil line) So whatever gets “breathed” the air comes out the top of the catch tank and any oil simply runs back into the sump.

Oil catch tanks in my opinion are a very very good thing. All engines breath, all engines have crank case pressure and that has to be vented. Like Peskys link says breathing oil laden shitty air back into your engine is not a good thing, it actually increases the chances of pre ignition, which we all know is a bad thing.

Normally you will breath the engine from the rocker cover and the crank case. I have about a 1.5 litre tank, but and this is the key in my opinion, I have a return from the bottom of the catch tank back to the sump (below the oil line) So whatever gets “breathed” the air comes out the top of the catch tank and any oil simply runs back into the sump.

Sean have you used a non-return valve at the sump end or does it not matter?

I assume there should be a breather tube or something/
The tanks on E-Bay seem to have twin inlets but I guess one of these can be the breather? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120326775896

No You don’t need a non return valve. As long as your drain back to the sump goes in below the oil level, then you are OK.

If it goes in above the oil level, then it will simply act as another breather and oil will not return to the sump as quick as it should.

I assume there should be a breather tube or something/
The tanks on E-Bay seem to have twin inlets but I guess one of these can be the breather? > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120326775896

Yeah you need a vent to atmosphere as well.

Results so far.
My efforts to replicate the Lotus 2 into 1 tubing are a bit crude and will be improved . But you get the drift.

The tank is a bit BLING so I recon an old 1/2 l oil tin with a few nicely made holes would do the job just as well!!
If you are buying a tank check the weight…some of the ones on E-Bay are HEAVY…next time I would check out the carbon fibre ones.
BTW there is a support plate behind the fitting bolts.
And it vents down to the undertray.

[image]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/cliveagyoung/CatchTankmounted.jpg[/image]
[IMG]

You see what I mean about the Hosework…It WILL improve

[image]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/cliveagyoung/Catchtankpipes.jpg[/image]

That looks like the original position mine was fitted in by the factory service centre before being moved to the firewall. If you look at the black plastic side cover on the inside of the clam there’s actually a small cutout for the routing of the hose.

Hopefully this will be approved by the perfectionist bregade
IMPROVED PLUMBING
Ps can also apply to some of us who have reached a “certain Age”

[image]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/cliveagyoung/improvedplumbing.jpg[/image]

Nearly there Clive but not quite! Just need to ditch the bright new jubilee clip and put the OE black self tightening clip back in place or two bright and shinny jubilee clips.

You did ask for perfection.

Regards from down under.

Glad to see you active again Jez.
The reason for the hose clip is that pipe is smaller and one needs the extra pressure of a hose clip to get a seal.
BUT you have prompted me to see if I can sleeve the spigot so I can revert to the c clip…

BUT you have prompted me to see if I can sleeve the spigot

Is that the same as spanking the monkey?