Not again - Need help

Sorry, posting as Tubbs as cannot remember password for usual IDADL - As some of you may know, my engine went bang in Novemeber. Well, three weeks later after having it rebuilt, the mother has gone again… To say angry is not a word I could use. I suspect I could be thrown off the web for the words going around in my head…Anyone know how I may stand with this.Car was run in for first 300 miles, and have yet totake it to full revs still. Only went up to about 5500 for first 200 miles, and then to 6000 for the last 100. Now she go bang bang bang again.Checked oil and water daily, no lights came on, engine temp stayed around 82-85, and she still has oil in at the moment. I highlighted to the garage it was a little rattly twice and they said they are all noisey. Anyone got any thoughts on how to handle this as I am 5K down and still have a broken car. Going to try and halt the payment on the card first thing tomorrow and car going back to the garage in the morning.aaarrrrrgggghhh

Oh **** !! Phone trading standards for advice but i think if you take it back to Lakeside they will fix it.Just remember to try and keep calm (hard i know)My new login is screwed now !!!Phil

Sorry to hear this ADL …Seems we should all get together and have a stiff drink or two at the moment.Like Phil sayes, stay calm and point out the previous comments and make sure you record everything you can remember about any conversations.

ADL this is bad bad news. Hope Lakeside sort it out for you. Not wishing to be a party pooper but is your Exige IPJ’s Laser Blue? - if it is IIRC he had some head gasket probs - rec on this BBS - I was v interested at time, but in meantime you bought it…Good luck and keep us posted - here’s to you getting a result.Simon

I’m sure Ian had the gasket fixed for some time before he sold it.

quote:Originally posted by simon:ADL this is bad bad news. Hope Lakeside sort it out for you. Not wishing to be a party pooper but is your Exige IPJ’s Laser Blue? - if it is IIRC he had some head gasket probs - rec on this BBS - I was v interested at time, but in meantime you bought it…Good luck and keep us posted - here’s to you getting a result.SimonIt was IPJ’s, but the headgasket was ok and it was not losing water. Add to this, it had a new head gasket when the engine was rebuilt, so I doubt this is the issue. The car is a good one as far as I can tell and when running is a dream. Checked oil again this morning to be doubly sure as I have been running above the max just so I do not get caught out again like last time. Still has stacks in. God knows why it has gone again. Will be speaking with Lakeside this morning to see what they have to say for themselves, so I hope / expect they will be paying for this. I have driven the car 5 times so far and only done 400 miles in under three weeks I have had in back. There is no way it should have gone unless there was some swarf left in the engine that got into the bearing or something inside has slackened off. It had a new crank and bearings throughout. Either which way, it is definately the big ends again (that dreaded sound is etched in my brain now!)Will let you all know how I get on. Suffice to say, if Lakeside are not willing to foot the bill, there are plenty of Lotus forums out there which would be more than happy to hear my tales of woe…Thanks for the support…

Well, just spoke to Lakeside, they were a little shocked to say the least. Even admitted that if I had of thrashed the tits off it the bearings should not have gone after 400 miles. They have said they will sort it out and put it right, which to me suggests they are going to fix it. I truly hope so as I would rather say good things about them than bad, and fixing it will ensure they do not have a black mark…and I do not have an empty wallet!

I know Ian never had it on a track and if you haven’t something’s very odd!

quote:Originally posted by IDG:I know Ian never had it on a track and if you haven’t something’s very odd!Nope, never been on a track with it, but if it can run for long enough I am aiming to! Just dropped it off at Lakeside, and credit where credit is due, they are going to fix it. Prognosis is that the big end has gone again. They are somewhat stumped as to why this has happened again, but the engine will have to be split to find out the cause. Only problem is that if they can’t find the problem, where to next? Definately something is up…I know when I had an Integrale there were problems with the engine being starved of oil when cornering very very hard. Don’t suppose the Exige has a similar problem?

You are not going to get that kind of problem on the road. Minister recommend not racing at Rockingham (sticky tyres and therefore greater cornering loads, along with banking) without a dry sump, but that is the only circuit where they have these concerns.Cheers

Did they replace the big end bolts last time ?Phil

quote:Originally posted by Trudy Davies:Did they replace the big end bolts last time ?PhilI assume so as I was billed for new ones…

Any news from Lakeside yet?Phil

quote:Originally posted by Trudy Davies:Any news from Lakeside yet?PhilTrudy, sorry I meant Phil…They haven’t got the engine out yet, so nothing new. I do seem to be the laughing stock of my mates now! How’s yours going. Managed to get through those painful running in miles?

Didn’t bother running it in for that long, as soon as it was on the road i limited myself to 6K (just to make sure there were no leaks etc) for the first 50 miles and then drove it “normally” [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Well, the good news is that the engine is about to go back in! Hooray…should have it back next week.The problem - bit of swarf gon in an oil way on the crank…Fortunately engine got away with it and Lakeside fixed her up. One of those things. They flushed the engine etc… and this one little bit stayed in there. Oh well, at least they found the problem rather than it remaining a mystery…Hope to be bombing around again shortly…

Good news that you will be up and running around again soon.So what was the bang bang bang then ?

quote:Originally posted by Phil:Good news that you will be up and running around again soon.So what was the bang bang bang then ?A worn bearing