North coast 500

Has anyone driven the NC500 ?

I’d really like to, but can’t afford a week which some of the guides suggest to take it all in, it’d need to be a long weekend at best and that would include drive up and out of Scotland.

Curious to others experience as to what’s achievable?

Hoping for a reasonable October …

I thought about this recently, and had 3 nights to spare. (Myself and a friend in Exige V6 S and SL55 AMG).

In short, decided against it in that time scale. Plus, the route is now so well known, it’s not ideal for fun driving with tourists traffic, camper vans etc.

Instead I did a route via Oban, Fort William (Mallaig and back) and Stirling with some interesting roads and it was a lot of fun.

You might want to try the NE route which is a little shorter and quieter, we were planning to do that next time.

Leave time for a nice evening meal and a beer, and keep timings relaxed. Whatever you do, I suggest booking accom and meals in advance. It was the busiest I’d seen Scotland in all my life!

Might be better now with Schools and Uni’s going back (thankfully).

Have fun, keep it relaxed, and freestyle the route a little… my advice anyway.

Did it 2018 in July. Took a week but an epic drive. Good hotels, B&Bs, a bit few and far between, despite the popularity of the route. Some pricey, too. Wanted to go in Exige but that was vetoed by Mrs Thommo. Her TT was also left on drive so went in Audi A4 Avant which was advantageous as we could see more of what we were passing.
Definitely recommend it. Not much of a problem with camper vans. Narrow roads are well signposted with Passing Places clearly visible. Speed is only an option on certain stretches but well worth it as there is little traffic. We were very lucky with the weather. Some stunning views. Klyescu bridge, Loch Eribol. Etc

Just keep in mind that the world seems to have gone nuts. People are flocking to Scotland and the Lakes - it’s been exceptionally busy.

Fingers crossed that a more normal balance returns. If you do head up there, I’d be interested to hear.

Did it last year… some of the best roads I’ve ever driven… make sure you go up via the Cairngorms too… we overtook 2 911s and an RS6 on the old military road as they were too slow :slight_smile:

Road across the top via bettyhill is also a must

It’s certainly on my list, but as per the other “big name” routes I think it’s been spoiled by its own success recently. Ideally I guess you’d want to identify the really good sections and hit those early on a morning, but won’t be so easy if trying to cram the route in.

My Brother in Law did it a couple of years back and he mentioned there were some deviations from the ‘traditional’ route which are gaining popularity as slightly better roads, I’ll see if I can get some details.

Thanks for all the great feedback and advice. I m hoping with schools going back some normality will resume.

I drove my Aston up the Military Road and through the Cairngorms last year and that was an amazing drive. But even being a lighter weight model (for a Vantage!) and with Sports Pack eventually it’s brakes began to fade on the bigger cornering descents.

I’m not sure my wife would be up to a passenger ride like that so it maybe a more sensible family wagon and sight seeing but still love to enjoy the roads… :+1:

Really, brake fade on the road! That’s not great. I’d be ok, I never use the brakes.

We did ‘other roads’ and not all of the 500 - I have some tomtom routes if anyone is interested…

You can give me some instruction next time :+1::joy::rofl:

That’s because I drive slowly!

Actually, I have nice bit of video following a slow car at Anglesey, I was so bored I forgot to brake. Caught it.