Non Starter today, Not happy!!!

Thought i’d finish off fitting the new exhaust. All going well until i tried to start the thing! Turn key, wait for fuel pump to finish primimg, turn key further, engine turns well, non starter. Remove No1 plug turn engine no spark1 It was all Ok yesterday now nothing. A couple of years back it turned out to be high resistance on engine to chasis earth lead. had it off cleaned it up still nothing.
Has anybody got any clue or avenues i could pursue please?

I’m less than happy with the pig and the way its going its going to be the first 2005 Bar B Que with 20L of Optimax. That’ll teach the thing.

Please somebody give me the cure. Mega cheesed off at the mo, regards JEZ

Jez

Carefully check ALL the fuses - first try those in the cubby hole between the seats, then those in the engine compartment.

Could also be dodgy/chaffed wires as they pass from the ECU (in the cubby hole!) into the engine bay.

Happened to me a few times a couple of years ago - bloody annoying

Good luck

also check for dampness and proper seating in the ignition leads at coil and plug ends…

what about battery ? is it good ?

Yeah double check the battery has enough power in it …

A friend has a motorbike ( cant remember which one ) but had the same problem - I told him to “condition” the battery … he checked with his dealer and they confirmed the ECU sometimes doesnt see enough voltage and thus will not “power up” - the starter motor takes al the energy.

Its gotta be the same for ours as well I’m sure - so if its not run for a while …

Yeah double check the battery has enough power in it …

A friend has a motorbike ( cant remember which one ) but had the same problem - I told him to “condition” the battery … he checked with his dealer and they confirmed the ECU sometimes doesnt see enough voltage and thus will not “power up” - the starter motor takes al the energy.

Its gotta be the same for ours as well I’m sure - so if its not run for a while …

Battery is the usual suspect. I have the Lotus conditioner and when it shows 12V it wn’t start, but with the full 13.5V never a problem. Mine usually lasts approx 10days unused before I it needs a boost.

Now a happy chappy again. Played around with all fuses had them out all OK. Checked all relays in bulkhead behind seats all clicked as the ignition switch moved through its starting process. Checked fuses and relays under bonnet. All OK. Good battery voltage had it on a Carcoon slow charger all winter. Thought about an old thread ref speed sensors on wheels, unplugged the passenger side one when i checked engine to chassis earth strap and plugged it back in. Then bugger me it fired up first time!! How does that work? Its the pick up for the Stack instrument speedo as far as i know! Please tell me if i’m wrong.
Thanks for the help guys. The 20L of optimax is now in the tank, i’ll have to delay the Bar B Que!!

Hope you fixed it, but I had a problem just like you describe that turned out to be a duff throttle position sensor. When it reads 100% open during starting it goes in to ‘spark plug cleaning mode’ and the injectors don’t fire. It was really annoying as it took ages to identify as it was intermitant. Just a thought in case it comes back.

Ian

Had an intermittent no start prob earlier this year - turned out to be duff crank angle sender…