NON CONTACT DIGITAL THERMOMETER BY DRAPER TOOLS

For sale on Ebay for �19.50 when the advert says they list for �163.
[image]http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/67/49/c1_1_b.JPG[/image]

Anyone whether they are any good? They are supposed to have a temperature range of -18 to 315c.

There’s a few selling them on eBay, perhaps Draper have ditched a load. I’m going to give this one a go.

Ian

4p more expensive than the one I found HERE but I like yours better - 1st class postage and higher item cost means more of a refund if it does go t@ts up!

for �20 worth a try

4p more expensive than the one I found > HERE > but I like yours better - 1st class postage and higher item cost means more of a refund if it does go t@ts up!

Exactly my thinking!

I guess it might even arrive today!

Ian

[quoteI guess it might even arrive today! [/quote]

Placed my order and within only a few minutes got a reply that it had been dispatched. Hopefully, mine will arrive today as well and then I have the rest of the weekend to annoy the gf by pointing it at things and asking her to guess the temp…now that’s given me a bad idea

Well mine has arrived!

Haven’t tried it on the car yet, but it mostly seems within its 2oC tolerance (had to change it from oF, switch in batt comp). The only thing that’s foxed it so far is the ali kettle. It only says 40oC and its much hotter to touch than that once its boiled? Got the temp diff between the top and bottom of the radiator and inside the freezer right though.

The ratio is 3:1, so it’ll measure a foot diameter area from 1 metre.

Ian

Well mine has arrived!

So has mine - I have just checked and it was ordered at 4.06pm last night…that’s service!

Was pleasantly surprised to find it came with a soft carrycase as well.

There is a caution about laser radiation - avoid direct eye contact - but it does not put out a visible red light to use as a target so you know at what point it is taking the temperature from. That’s the only thing I would have liked.

Sure that would be quite difficult as it’s doing a 3:1 (distance:diameter) area?

If I’d paid �150 I think I’d agree, and I’d also have wanted a real minus sign and low batt indicator (rather than just dots for each). But for �20…

I’ve just checked mine on the grill and it was monitoring the increasing temp to well over 200oC just fine.

Anybody got any theories on why it’s not doing the ali kettle properly?

Ian

Anybody got any theories on why it’s not doing the ali kettle properly?

Have another go and see whether it was either a spurious reading

I’ve just checked mine on the grill and it was monitoring the increasing temp to well over 200oC just fine.

I’ve just checked mine on the gf doing aerobics and it was monitoring the increasing temp to well over 42oC just fine - just about to send her out on a run to test higher temperatures - hadn’t thought of getting the car out of the garage.

now the footies over, off to test on the kettle!

The only thing that’s foxed it so far is the ali kettle. It only says 40oC and its much hotter to touch than that once its boiled?

Mine did exactly the same - a reading of 42C, although it did register 82C when pointed down the spout.

Maybe we have the same kettle?

Kettles are usually plastic and the plastic does not transfer all the heatfrom inside.

The proper measure, AFAIK is the U factor, which measures the heat loss / transfer, and to avoid burns to users it makes sense to use low transfer materials…

Mike

that’s for the response but both of our kettles are metal & definitely too hot to touch but not registering on the thermometer

Maybe it is to do with the reflective nature of the materials…??

Presumably the infrared beam is bounced back a different wavelength for the machine to read the temperature, and if the reflective materials bounce it too quickly, maybe that interferes…

A cautious note for those checking brake disk temps, maybe???

curved surface maybe not reflecting the whole signal back to the transducer??

shiney maybe an issue as well ?

then again maybe it is really only 42C ? nah…

A cautious note for those checking brake disk temps, maybe???

That’s what I was trying not to think!

Ian said it worked on a radiator in the house, so maybe Im going to have to paint my disks…by an amazing piece of foresight the calipers are already done

Would it work on my avatar??

now you are just taking the proverbials … …

Would it work on the 48s?

In the test & measurement world, you have to use thermocouples for accurate temperature measurements, particuarly on metals.

Infra-red / laser pyrometers are only really any good for comparative work, eg to locate hotspots.

OK for temperature profiling tyres and brake disks, but the absolute temp shown should be taken with a pinch of salt.

There should be guidance in the instructions as to the performance you should expect.

Obviously, the more you pay etc…