NLC : what next?

Back from family hols in the uber-Merc (E63S Wagon) and thinking it’s probably time for a change, but where to go now?

Performance family car did not work so well as 90% of the time it’s just me on my own and the remaining 10% I get in trouble when I deploy more than 50% of the ponies. I’m thinking something more optimised for the 90% and sod the family use-case,…they can get the bus.

Anyone wanting a 585bhp sensible family car then let me know…

How much?
RS 4 Avant plans still stymied by Mrs T but a cared for, two owner Merc might fit the bill, for me at least). Loved the sound on fire-up at Donny.
It might appear a sensible car to the dear girl . . . as I’ve not been raving on about them as I have about the RS4 for the last two years.
She wants “an uppy car” (as she has christened them) as in an SUV: Audi Q3, VW Tourthingy, etc etc.
I suggested she sell her TT but no bloody joy there. Thoughts . . . .?

It’s an interesting car the Merc. Not as shouty as an RS4/6 and a real sleeper, to most it looks like a big ol’ E-Class. It does however have an absolutely stonking powerplant,…you just can’t argue with 585bhp and 800Nm. It’ll rumble around in traffic, and through the lanes with ease where the auto box is great at magically selecting the right ratio. It’s most at home on A-Roads and covering distance where you always have enormous reserves or power at your disposal with 4 (or 5) onboard in absolute comfort/luxury with a great stereo and rear-seat ents. It does of course struggle to disguise it’s weight, it is undeniably a big heavy vehicle and the handling is not what you’d call playful. It’ll do mid-20’s mpg which is both not great but also somewhat surprising for a vehicle of its heft and performance.

I’m pretty sure I’ll move it on in the near future but not absolutely certain when as losing the car that is our family transport has not been fully briefed to Mrs Benja!

Does it need 4 seats Ben? :wink:

Was looking in the AM showroom at the weekend, the ‘new look’ is gradually growing on me! - some rather nice motors in there, nice power too with the Merc V8 but they really need to shed a few kilos :slight_smile:

How’s about an Evora?

Now THAT is the question! Well actually does it need to seat 5 is the actual question. I’m erring towards no which means I’m unconstrained and Mrs Benja may have to acknowledge her A1 is just not big enough :laughing:

Evora? I know I’d love it but I do already have a Lotus. AMs don’t float my boat. There’s a German box I’ve never ticked,.could it be time?

Porsche, I presume?

Has the factory reopened :astonished:

My BMW 340i touring can manage 40mpg on the run and is not a bad handler and can shift 5 people, bikes and dogs. Massive discounts on new from the dealers, I got 12k off list with no arguments. Gearbox is auto and pretty crap on mine but I think it’s faulty as it sounds like an electric drill and always selects the wrong gear at low speeds. Only sports mode is tolerable. It’s not a special car to drive but ok a family box. Satnav and phone system are dodgy as the satnav is nowhere as good as google and the phone requires you to delete the recent callers list regularly to work. Setting those niggles aside it’s a good car, not expensive if you get the discount. I pay less on my pcp than a work mate pays for a Golf (she was not impressed).

I have tried an S1 Evora… loved it. It was the one in Lotus Central in matte black, comedy price was the issue. If I can get one at the right price my S2 Exige will be gone.

Ben, if you live in the city, be brave and modern, get shot of the car and use a rental when you need it. It’s the new fashion.

…forgot to mention, in the Pyrenees with my 340 at the moment, testing the passes. The engine is wonderful…powerful but does not make the pops and bangs like an Audi, which is just a tad common.

Damned with faint praise

The trick is to register your interest with the dealer network. Many Evora’s traded at dealers are sold without advertising as there is often a list of people looking for the ‘right’ car. Alternatively, buy a new one :wink:

News update. I was getting hacked off with the gearbox sounding like an electric drill and the sluggish change on my new 340 so I got a price to drop the contract and get a new car, previous experience has told me that getting a BMW dealer to fix a problem is not a good experience. The car must have known it’s days where numbered as the gearbox stopped making a noise and the shifting fixed itself, now the 6 cyclinder engine can sing and it’s a different car. I can hear radio 4 now.

A bit of searching on the net says that the ZF 8 speed box decides when it is unlikely that you will change gear and lowers the hydrualic pressures to save fuel, this can make the changes sluggish if you catch it out. I think a sensor or valve got my gearbox stuck in “slow mode”.

Much happier with it now, phone and satnav still iffy but I try to never use the phone when driving and Google maps is much better.

Great news Keith that the Beemer managed to self-heal :sunglasses:

After considerable thought and research I decided now was not the time to tick the Pork box. I wanted a change but decided to stick with something that the whole family could fit in. The E63S Wagon went last night to make room for…a C63S Wagon. Smaller and much more focussed proposition than the E. On my way to pick it up now :thumbup:

:smiley: - Nice choice Ben

Took my Lad’s Cayman out yesterday - have to admit it is a rather excellent car - BUT - it just doesn’t involve like a Lotus does - might consider one in a few years hence when egressing and accessing a Lotus requires more yooffull skills :slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy the new car Ben. Good choice.

Top job, Ben. We’re still in an “uppy car” wilderness thanks to Mrs Thommo’s refusal the sell her TT and my unwillingness to countenance an SUV “uppy car” as my mode of transport :crazy:

Steve, just surprise Mrs Thommo with an Evora. Job jobbed, as they say :thumbup:

Ben, looks great and bonkers. With my yearly mileage it earn me a holiday with the airmiles on my credit card.

Hopefully I’ll see it and you at Donington before the end of the season, I see you are there on the 5th, I’ll be too jet lagged to be there.

Keith

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Drove it a bit today and it really is a proper muscle car. It’s very different to the grizzly bear character of the E63, much more hard-edged, involving and exciting. Mine’s a 2015 car but feels tight as a drum and is fully loaded with tech. Both cars are totally engine-dominated but the 4.0TT in the C really does feel special. A lot of work was done to make it sound like an AMG and they did a great job, especially when you engage the anti-social-exhaust-noise mode :imp: Its a bit bling in blue with the silver forged wheels but overall it’s a handsome machine and a bit more of a sleeper than equivalent ///M. I don’t know if I’d want to drive it everyday as its quite full-on, but that’s no issue as I commute on my pushbike. Very happy with it :sunglasses:

Hope to see you before the season is out Keith.

Don’t give in to the dark “uppy” side!