Nitrons

Hi,
Just purchased an English low Mileage S1 Exige in addition to my 1 year old, newly bought S2 Exige.
S1 will mainly be used for track day activity (mainly with Lotus).
I mounted new shocks => Nitrons but I am wondering if the dealer used the correct ones.
The boxes where the shocks were in, are mentioning Elise S1, no part number.
My spring are marked in front : 7AO425 � in the rear 8BO475
Does this corresponds with Exige specs?
Is 425 and 475 the lbs rate?
Bottom line: are these the good shocks for my Exige or do I have Elise shocks on the car?
Thanks for your help
Patrick

Front springs are probably a tough high, 400’s would be better.

I don’t believe there is a different damper setting between the S1 Elise & S1 Exige but I could be wrong.

Good morning,

Following comes from Nitron site:

�The spring rates for the Exige S1 are 25 lbs stronger than the Elise S1, so the Exige rates are 350 lbs front and 425 lbs rear. The valving is the same for both kits.
The front shocks are 10mm shorter on the Exige than the Elise, this is by a 10mm shorter rod.�

So there is definitely a difference, which is the reason why I am trying to find out which ones are on my car.
If the 425 and 475 equals the lbs rates, then again they are different from what it should be as a standard. (350 � 425)
Strange, isn�t it?

Patrick

How about 340R shocks on an S1 ??
Will these settings bo Suitable??

How about 340R shocks on an S1 ??
Will these settings bo Suitable??

Nitron 340R shocks have a separate part number than both Elise S1 and Exige S1, so I would assume that they are different.

The spring rates are the same as the Exige S1 at 350/425.

But they are all the same price at �945.00!

Correct,
340 have the same specs as the Exige.
In the meantime I dropped a mail towards Nitron.
I hope they can tell me more. Will keep you posted.
What are the advantages/ disadvantages to have the 425-475 springs on my Exige?
I am still a rookie when it comes to technical matters guys

The rod length of Exige S1 dampers are different (smaller) then the ones on an Elise S1.

I have had my Nitrons changed from Elise S1 to Exige S1 spec as I’m running a motorsport front and Exige wheels.
This is not a cheap thing to do.

The differences are:

• rod length
  • springs

The rod length of Exige S1 dampers are different (smaller) then the ones on an Elise S1.

I have had my Nitrons changed from Elise S1 to Exige S1 spec as I’m running a motorsport front and Exige wheels.
This is not a cheap thing to do.

The differences are:

• rod length
  • springs

Hmmm, something else to think about on my winter suspension rebuild as I’m still running my Original Elise dampers.

Think I need to spend some time and decide on a design I actually want as opposed to what Nitron sell as standard.

To save me a lot of time messing with trials what settings do you suggest I start with on my K engined S1??

What spring rates, Clive?

To save me a lot of time messing with trials what settings do you suggest I start with on my K engined S1??

My K-series car ran with 400/475 springs with 12/10 clicks from full hard as a starting point.

Mine, newly installed are also at 10 clicks from full hard all around.
If the track is wet => go to 12 => if dry 10 clicks or less.
In the meantime I had Guy Evans (CEO Nitron)on the line (very friendly BTW) and he confirmed that my springs (425 � 475) were custom made and ordered in this configuration by the Lotus dealer.
Apparently Lotus at some moment preferred to have only a difference of 50 between front and rear and as it is mainly for track use stiffer springs compared to standard are no problem at all.
To be absolutely sure he asked me to give him the part numbers on the shock itself. Something I will look up once I have the proper material to lift the car.