Nitron Springs - how long should they last?

Looking for opinion on these. They’re just gone 12 months old, and have done limited mileage due to Covid lockdowns since March last year.

Nitron have explained that the front and rear springs are from different production batches, so unlikely to be a “dodgy batch”. Their only advice was to spray with some sort of rust prevention product which I did when they were brand new.

They’re rejecting any warranty claim on them, but offering to sell me a replacement set at a pretty hefty discount, but still pretty hard to stomach. These weren’t cheap coilovers in the first place.

Any idea if this is abnormal wear or not? I’m certainly not going to buy replacements if it is, and instead will look to alternatives for refurbishing them… if that’s even possible without hurting their spring rates. Suggestions welcome. :thumbup:

You mention that you sprayed them with a rust preventative when they were new - possibly this has affected the flexibility of the original paint coating so, as the springs have flexed, the paint has cracked and allowed water to get underneath?

You could have them blasted and powder coated, as they shouldn’t get hot enough to retemper the metal.

Other alternatives would be phosphate type coatings, eg. Kephos.

Yeah I did wonder about the rust prevantative stuff being counter productive. I have used it for years though on many cars with many different suspension setups and never had a problem. This stuff though does not dry ‘hard’ like some do (ACF50 I think dries hard? Can’t remember) it just remains as a waxy residue with a bit of tack to it. Still, I’ll probably use a different product next time, or just avoid coating the springs entirely. I only use it so that the threads are easily kept clean for rideheight adjustment.

Nitron in their support emails also recommended coating the entire shock with something, but they weren’t specific on brand names etc.

I’ve been to see a powdercoater today, recommended by jonnyboy who kindly offered to let me use “his” blue powder he has stored there :laughing: I had some other bits I needed doing anyway, so took the springs for a look. They peeled a bit off and reckon it looks like a lack of prep on the steel, they were totally smooth (on the non-rusty bits) and would expect a blasted surface for better keying.

Should be cheap enough for me to resolve, but it’s a shame I have to on what I thought was a premium brand. :cry:

Hi mate! FWIW, my Nitrons are about 16 months old and done 3k miles and they look dusty, but otherwise in perfect condition. I did nothing to prepare them, just bolted them straight on and left it at that. Maybe you just got unlucky? I know that stinks, but it’s the best I can offer :confused:

Yep that’s the general consensus I’m picking up. Seems I have been unfortunate, which is good news really - I’d rather the fact I’ve just got a dodgy set of springs on mine than have the entire range be naff, because other than this aesthetic thing I’ve been quite happy with them on the car.

Nitron are basically saying that springs have it hard, and they can’t guarantee the lifespan of the finish. I agree with the first part, but I’d also expect a company like Nitron to have a finish/process that can consistently withstand the harsh environment they need to operate in - especially for such a short timespan. If this came up in 18-24months time, I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid tbh.

My springs are many years old and look like new…the car doesnt see any rain though.

Nitron springs cost about twice as much as ‘normal’ springs (eg faulkner) so you’d at least expect them to last !

FYI They have changed spring manufacturer over the last few years

I’d avoid anything mineral-based or in a spray can. Mineral oils can affect plasticisers and spray can propellants aren’t great either.

If you just want to protect the threads on spring seats, I use a bit of ordinary ‘red rubber’ grease - the stuff for dust caps, etc. on master cylinders. It doesn’t affect metal or plasticisers and is reasonably unaffected by most things generally :thumbup:

Nitron have come good and covered the cost of a refurb. :thumbup:

Result! :thumbup:

:thumbup: it’s good to hear, they are a quality company making great shocks, that’s what I’d expect of them, so good you got that result.

what prompted them to change their minds?

Not sure if they ever did change their minds really, there was always an offer on the table for a discounted rate on replacement springs - and my cost to refurb I imagine was considerably less than the margin they were forfeiting on the replacement offer.

I do sympathise, the paint finish on a suspension spring has a pretty harsh existence - I guess they couldn’t afford to set a precedent whereby anyone with a spec of rust on their springs could claim on warranty. They had to assume I’d been abusing the springs somewhat, because nobody else had reported this degree of wear/tear. I’ve since come into contact with a few people who have suffered similar wear over a similar period of time, and they also bought their suspension at a similar time to me… they just weren’t bothered enough to talk to Nitron about it.

If this level of wear had built up over 3-4 years I’d have not made a peep. I think with the best practise in the world a powdercoat finish on a coil spring is not going to last forever… but for the few months I had driven the car, I still maintain my opinion that my springs were not prepped or finished correctly.