New member but not really ... with a Elise s1 111s

Hi all

First apologies for my poor english wordings.
I’m a new joiner coming from France in this community but not really new as I have subscribed to this lovely forum there are 4 years ago now. Before being interested by our preferred cars I owned a couple of them as Porsche , BMW M3 etc … During one trackday organized by a BMW club in France there are 5 years ago (Dijon-Prenois) it was the first time that I saw an Exige S1 in yellow colour. This was absolutely magic. Moreover having performed very well on the trackday (very fast) the car was beautiful, looking fantastic.
After one month I decided to sell my BMW M3 to buy a Lotus.
At the beginning I was looking for this fabulous Exige S1 car but finally after having read a lot of “bad” things on the VHPD motor I decided to be more realistic in my choice and I bought an Exige S2. This was the worst decision in my life !
Because 5 years after ,3 Lotus owned (Exige S2 , Elise s1 s160, last one Elise s1 111s “sprint”) and a couple of euros spent :slight_smile: … today I would be interested to buy my first belove Lotus : the Exige S1.
To be honest there is 1 year ago I decided to start with a project based on an elise s1 111s to drive most of the time on track . The car was in a “new aluminium color”. I decided to do a full car painting as the “old” Elan sprint in yellow and white. I must say that this elise s1 111s is a wonderful car too. The car performs very well and it is also very nice looking now. A lot of upgrades have been made:

• Transformed in LHD
  • Sprint Colour
  • Hardtop
  • Nitrons NTR
  • Toe-links
  • Big Brakes
  • Avia , RBF
  • TMR wheels :slight_smile:
  • PRRT , Laminova
  • Hurricane
  • TB 52
  • Full exhaust Larini and Christopher Neil
    and many many others … For the moment the car is weighted only 714kgs (1574 lbs) and should still be lighter after others coming upgrades

As I said previously I would be interested to buy an Exige S1 but I’m not really decided to sell my 111s as the car is giving me a lot of fun ! The best would be to keep my current car and buy the Exige … but it becomes a little bit expensive … :wink:
Let me know how I could post some fotos :wink:

Thanks !

Bonjour mes ami’s

Bienvenieu! Cest en bon idea pour le Exige S1 ausi!!!

My French is SHIT mon amis!!!

You have a great idea!!! Get an Exige S1!!!

I have owned 5 Lotus! Elise S1 160! Exige S1!!! Elise S2 111s!, Exige S2… then again my favourite!!! another Exige S1!!!

The BEST!

Hope you find an really nice example! They are getting very rare!!!

Welcome!

Pete :slight_smile:

As my 12,500 mile MINT example! :sunglasses:

Thank you Pete for this reply :wink:

Your Exige S1 is indeed wonderful … scandal green is one my favourite colour. I would hope that I will find a great example of this car too.

Some fotos from my car … :blush:

Welcome, notre ami :sunglasses:

Great looking Elise :smiley:

What is your name?

Thank you

My name is Raphael. Nice to hear you. and you ?
Regarding your huge number of posting messages I’m assuming that you are responsible (administrator) for this forum ?

Is it your car on the picture above (gulf color) ?

Welcome Raphael!

He’s not the Administrator but is the boss man around here :smiley:

Hi Rapheal. Beautifully car you have there, great colour scheme.

Raphael, yes my car is now Gulf colours. I’ve owned it since new in January 2001, done approx 102k miles incl approx 100 trackdays. Engine/gearbox changed to Honda in 2005 at circa 36k miles.

Rob

:smiley:

Hell no !!
Welcome Raphael :wink:

[quote=jfk][quote=Bu1979]
Regarding your huge number of posting messages I’m assuming that you are responsible ?
[/quote]
Hell no !!
Welcome Raphael :wink: [/quote]

Sorry for this :wink:

[quote=Mr Pesky]Raphael, yes my car is now Gulf colours. I’ve owned it since new in January 2001, done approx 102k miles incl approx 100 trackdays. Engine/gearbox changed to Honda in 2005 at circa 36k miles.

Rob

:smiley: [/quote]

Ok this is a pure race car now. You know from the other side of the river ( :slight_smile: ) there is unfortunately almost any way to drive with this type of car road legally. Nevertheless this is one of the most powerfull association between a Lotus and a Motor (I mean Exige S1 + Honda powered by a compressor).

Since a long time now many of our known “French” motorists was trying to find some solutions to increase the Rover motor power , sometimes successfully , sometimes not … keeping a good reliability which is the most difficult task to do.

Currently one of them is working on my VVC motor to improve the cylinders head capacity. I will keep the original ECU.
In the next coming months if I will not get a chance to find my dream car I will probably go for a solution to increase the whole motor capacity , I mean modify it from 1.8l to 1.9l or 2.0l.
I don’t know if you are familiar with some professionnals in France or Spain , but one of the famous pro is VGK.
I know that in England there are Scholar, DVA ? … maybe many others ?

If the motor swap could be authorized here I will probably change my VVC by a Duratec or a Honda motor. But this is not the case and we must find alternative solutions.

I suppose that the VHPD motor reliability was discussed on this forum frequently. I’m going to try to find these info through the huge postings number :slight_smile:

[quote=pete757]As my 12,500 mile MINT example! :sunglasses:

[/quote]

Nice car Pete, did you get that from Hilton and moss? A chap from London owned it previously iirc

[quote=Bu1979][quote=Mr Pesky]Raphael, yes my car is now Gulf colours. I’ve owned it since new in January 2001, done approx 102k miles incl approx 100 trackdays. Engine/gearbox changed to Honda in 2005 at circa 36k miles.

Rob

I suppose that the VHPD motor reliability was discussed on this forum frequently. I’m going to try to find these info through the huge postings number :slight_smile: [/quote]

I would offer that the VHPD is actually (potentially!) a very reliable motor! One of the biggest problems is it was not fully developed, rather a merged assembly of various bits, added to which it is terribly unbalanced… that is a root of many evils!

Those motors that have expired at an early age, when re-built and balanced properly are indeed a wonderfully reliable and sweet sounding motor, so much lighter than anything else too… ‘performance through light weight’ as some chapy once said!!! :sunglasses:

[quote=pete757][quote=Bu1979][quote=Mr Pesky]Raphael, yes my car is now Gulf colours. I’ve owned it since new in January 2001, done approx 102k miles incl approx 100 trackdays. Engine/gearbox changed to Honda in 2005 at circa 36k miles.

Rob

I suppose that the VHPD motor reliability was discussed on this forum frequently. I’m going to try to find these info through the huge postings number :slight_smile: [/quote]

I would offer that the VHPD is actually (potentially!) a very reliable motor! One of the biggest problems is it was not fully developed, rather a merged assembly of various bits, added to which it is terribly unbalanced… that is a root of many evils!

Those motors that have expired at an early age, when re-built and balanced properly are indeed a wonderfully reliable and sweet sounding motor, so much lighter than anything else too… ‘performance through light weight’ as some chapy once said!!! :sunglasses: [/quote]

Pete , absolutely.
This is what I meant. I know that this would be a mess to rely on the original VHPD because of its early age development. But after a proper rebuilt it could be a fantastic motor.
However I have a small question : is it right that the 190bhp upgrade could lead quicker to a VHPD problem compared to the 177bhp ? or is it a combination between this upgrade and a heavy trackdays use ? … .

nice looking Elise, love the colour scheme :slight_smile: