New Exige Owner.....

Evening all. Just moved from an S2 111S to an S2 Exige…collected yesterday, already in love…what a beast

First question - First track outing (in the Exige) is this Saturday, what tyre pressures are recommended for the Yoko 048s?? (225/45/17 & 195/50/16). Used to find running the Elise at 25/26 when track hot (equated to 20/21 cold) gave best grip and balance…whats the consensus with the Exige?

Thanks in advance…

Welcome Gary!

Tyre pressures, that’s a tricky one. For the S1, I’ve tended to use Gavin Kershaw’s (Lotus test driver/racer for the unaware) recommendation, which is 28psi hot all round.

If you try a search (say on ‘48’) you’ll find a number of different recommendations though. One approach is to get a pyrometer and measure the heat across the tyres. Hotter in the middle and let a bit out, hotter at the edges put some back in. But make sure to meaure as soon as you come in the pits, as the tyres cool down quick.

Enjoy your day!

Ian

Hi (again!)Gary & welcome

Start off with Front23 & Rear26. When hot, 28 all round should feel okay, but it’s really down to some individual tinkering.

Expect Elvington to be hard on the tyres, especially in the dry. New rears will set you back about �140 plus vat (only available via dealers) & will last about 5K miles including 2 or 3 trackdays! Fronts will last twice as long, or thereabouts.

Have fun

PS I still smile when I think about our charging around the moorland roads near Shap in 1998 I won’t mention the sheep, if you don’t!

28 hot!

You’ll have no grip after 4 laps and the tyres will wear prematurely in the middle.

Depends on how hard you push it, and if you balance understeer and oversteer with the throttle, but look for around 24 hot.
But the best would be a pyrometer like Ian said.

28 hot!
You’ll have no grip after 4 laps and the tyres will wear prematurely in the middle.

Are you suggesting Mr Kershaw’s advice is duff? Although to be honest, I’ve never been below about 20 cold, so can’t comment if it gets better lower than that.

Ian

Gary
Hi and welcome. I have an S2 and been running around 21 front 23 rear COLD, then when measured after coming off track when HOT they are around 26 f 28 r. I found the car handling superb at that but havn’t experimented with other pressures yet.
John

Are you suggesting Mr Kershaw’s advice is duff? Although to be honest, I’ve never been below about 20 cold, so can’t comment if it gets better lower than that.

Ian

Nope, but the physics being what they are, I really really doubt he’s using those pressure.
He may have recommended them taking into consideration the driver and the type of use at the time.
OTOH, if he’s using that, the greater downforce of his car or different suspension may come into play.

The best bet is the pyrometer always.

Thanks all - probably not enough time to get a py-thinging meter by tomorrow, but will trial and error and see how I get on!!

PS I still smile when I think about our charging around the moorland roads near Shap in 1998 I won’t mention the sheep, if you don’t!

Yes that was a hoon and a half - I go over shap a fair bit en route to a pals in Carlisle, still get reminded of that day’s advanced hooliganism. And no tale-telling/photo distribution of the Sheep…although I seem to remember she took quite a shine to you…must have had a thing for the older man