New Audi TFSI engines - E888 gen3

Some very interesting developments, including:

• variable valve lift
  • exhaust manifold is integrated into the head and water cooled
  • electric heat management
  • twin scroll turbo
  • lots of weight reduction, for example plastic sump.

What I can’t quite see is the paths of the valves, and how the exhaust is split between the sides of the turbo. No what would be very cool is if they can lift one valve at low rpm like the K20A inlet to improve gas velocity and direct it all down the tighter scroll. Then open up the pair when they want it to breathe.

Anyway, have a read if you’re into that kinda stuff.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/muupublic/share/18TFSI.pdf

Interesting.

3mm block wall sounds scary
water pumps just became scary expensive and no more diy
plastic sump which includes main bearing covers also means baffled sumps become more complicated

cool tech but why does progress continue to go in the direction of throw away after use/damage. I do love the friction reduction (nano) technology though :sunglasses:

cheaper to make then to train a monkey how to repair probably, especially when the customer foots the bill anyway.

Gotta wonder if they’re eating into the margin that classically tuners have exploited?

These new engines though are all about emissions. I wouldn’t want to touch an engine that has a built in exhaust manifold, how do you go about bolting a huge turbo to that. hahaha

The 1.8 20v engine lost tuning potential over its life cycle. The head on an early 1.8t golf had huge ports. The later engines had much smaller ports for emissions reasons. Thankfully there are a gazillion big port heads in scrap yards that mean MAHOOOOOOOSIVE power 1.8t’s are still doable. That engine was then replaced by the 2.0 TFSI engine and again that is harder to get big power from that a 1.8 20v. Its all just a sign of the times i guess.

Lets be honest though the manufacturers must hate the after market. I have heard it said that Lotus put pressure on the LOT race series to outlaw non OE engines from certain series as they wanted ‘Lotus product’ to be doing all the winning. Thankfully LOT didnt totally bend over as there are still a few NA honda cars racing I believe

Fookin Audi’zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :tired:

Yeah I had a AEB 20v head with massive ports on a ABF bottom end in a VW ages back. Infact the car only sold the other week.

Sure the 1.8T supply will be plentyful for some time to come, just though you guys would like the PDF.

All info is good matey.

I just think from a tuning point of view, the newer the engine the harder they are to tune.

Modern engines seem to be more self contained and too full of electronic wizardary. I think tuning in the future may be more about cracking OEM software - actualy that’s already here.

Plastic sump!!!

You can’t go around saying things like that Sean :wink:

I know Bernard, its not like me to be controversial!! :slight_smile: