New 1.8HP engine

I understand that Rover have developed a new High Performance variant of the 1.8 K series engine, to be offered as an option for the Rover 75. Apparently this engine delivers 250 bhp (or was it 230 bhp).Could this not put an end to the supercharging debate? A normally aspirated 250bhp engine would fit nicely into my Exige and the numbers should stack up well. At a guess I would think that such an engine is in the �6-7000 region off the shelf. The trade in for the existing powerplant would be about �3500. Bottom line �3500+ fitting which is a tad less than the expected �10000 for the supercharged engine.

Come on Ken… what’s your source on this…You’ve given us such useful information recently, I reckon you work for Lotus… [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]I was under the impression that they’d done all they could with the K-series - wringing another 60 BHP out of it seems highly unlikelyUNLESS… their new 250BHP engine is the K-series with a supercharger, as has been whispered about recently for the Elise Motorsport series.That would make more sense.

I’ ll send you a transcript of my ‘source’ once I can find it again. It was an article about the future development of the MG ‘F’ and the MG/Lola(?!). It also mentioned the appearance of the supercharged MG’F’ in the near future. This tallies with press announcements at the time of the Rover buy-out that a supercharged MG was a priority. Apparently this will be a 220 bhp unit.I am not sure that I agree with you that they have wrung everything from the 1.8 K. Just think what variable timing could do to it. Let’s not forget that in the 80’s F1 1500cc units (with turbo) were squeezed well beyond 1000bhp! [This message has been edited by Ken Pegg (edited 19 November 2000).]

Further to the above. There is an interesting article on supercharging from a conference in 1935, where they found it quite feasible to extract more than 150bhp per litre when supercharging. This is prior to electronic ignition, fuel injection and engine mapping. Have a look at MG News. Also some years ago there was a MG F development by SP Performance Ltd which produced the MG F Cheetah. Here is a spec extract from a review:The ‘Cheetah’ has a supercharged version of 1.8 litre VVC K-series engine. This gives a top speed of 150 mph and 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds with 0-100 time in 12.9 seconds it certainly puts the ‘Cheetah’ into the high performance league. The supercharger provides .45 bar boost which increases the power output from 145 to 210 PS. Torque is improved from 174Nm to 220Nm at 4,500 rpm…Rotrex Supercharger - a Turbo Technics developed new design of supercharger which gives .45 bar boost with water-air intercooler. Forced induction supercharging offers the ultimate in technology and reliability in conjunction with instantaneous throttle response and outstanding performance. MEMS Engine management system, completely remapped for truly exhilarating performance and drivability. �3750.00 Read it all at http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgoc/emg/mgfchee.htm

quote:Originally posted by Ken Pegg:I am not sure that I agree with you that they have wrung everything from the 1.8 K. Just think what variable timing could do to it. Let’s not forget that in the 80’s F1 1500cc units (with turbo) were squeezed well beyond 1000bhp!Sorry Ken, I didn’t make myself clear.What I meant was, I think they’ve wrung all they can from a normally aspirated K-series.While perhaps a new manifold and funky cams could get another 10 bhp or so out of it, we’re reaching the point of diminishing returns and usability.

As you can tell from above messages, I was reasonably sure that Rover were about to unveil an uprated 1.8 K series derivative. Well it is official now and it could go some way towards meeting our dreams.1.8 K series supercharged 200 bhp for the MG(F)Supersports http://www.mgcars.co.uk/ Look at the MG Supersport link.