My Audi Conversion

Sorry guys, I ment Chris’s home is just north of Manchester. I was trying to enfisise how long a journey he did have from Carlisle back home.

IT’S RUNNING!!!

Wayne (Burt on here) finished off the last few bits tonight, hit the starter button and it fired up instantly first time!!!

Changing the rear wheel bearings tomorrow, plus a few little bits of tidying up, then throw the clams on and rag it up the road!!!

Vor Sprung Dirk Tecknik BABY!!!

Sean…

IT’S RUNNING!!!

Wayne (Burt on here) finished off the last few bits tonight, hit the starter button and it fired up instantly first time!!!

Changing the rear wheel bearings tomorrow, plus a few little bits of tidying up, then throw the clams on and rag it up the road!!!

Vor Sprung Dirk Tecknik BABY!!!

Sean…

pics are uploading

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/A16VWN/3c22dee7.jpg[/image]

i cant wait to rag it up the road

Oooh, shiny bits!

WWOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!
GOOD NEWS…

Excellent post Sean… I look forward to hearing your race reports soon.

LOOKING GOOD !! Nice and Bling…

Good luck with the maiden voyage, you witnessed my first run all of 20seconds around the block and then you took my driveshafts !!!

Oh… Nice gear linkage!
[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wazzer/gearlinkage.jpg[/image]
I have to say it looks simple but it took quite a while to get my head round it!!

PS … Hope it works!!!

Wow, top work guys! Sean you must owe Wayne and Alex LOTS of cakes mate!!!

After all this top work on the car, surely it now deserves a proper driver?

Getting rid of the Ginger muppet from behind the wheel would really finish this car off nicely I reckon

Just re-read Sean’s original post . . and now I’ve seen the pics. What an incredible job!
Keep the info coming and get a few nights’ sleep before Brands

just been on the phone to Sean… he said he missed a night’s sleep last night…
not working…

He just couldn’t sleep because he was soooo excited!!!

Well, we tried guys, but unfortunatly we are not going to make it for the weekend.

We got to the point of installing Chris’s drive shafts yesterday only to find the output flanges on the gearbox (the audi boxes have bolt on flanges rather than the Rover / Honda push in CV’s) were bigger than the bolt on joints on Chris’s shafts.

A few calls later and I find out that VW/Audi increased the size of the output flanges on later boxes for some models of car, but the good news was that if I could get a pair of small flanges they would bolt straight into my gearbox.

So out I was this mornig scouring the local breakers yards for a VW/audi gearbox with small flanges. I had one by lunch time and the small flanges were fitted to my gearbox not long after.

Then came the end of the road, basically Chris’s engine must be mounted in a different place to mine as the shafts were the wrong length. The one side was too long and the other was too short.

Tomorrow was the only Day Dave Walker could fit me onto his rollers, as I had Plans for geo on Thursday and testing on Friday. Plus to get a proper shaft made is at least a three weeks turn around.

At the outset in Spa we knew it would be a tall order as there were so many unknowns. Overall I am really pleased with the job we have done, the car is 99% finished, it just needs a set of drive shafts and a bit of a revamp to the gear linkage, apart from that it truely is finished!!

We had it running yesterday evening for a good 40 minutes, to let it fully warm up and give the water system chance to bleed itself. We had no drama’s, no leaks and it is really quiet and civilised.

A huge thank you to my mate Wayne (burt on here), who has been in my garage every night after work until at leat 11pm and sometimes well into the early hours. He would take bits with him to work, so he could do things in his lunch hour, mate I couldn’t of done it with out ya!!

Also to my mates Tony (fuzz) and Chris (the whip) for the many hours thay have also given me helping out over the last few weeks.

Another big thanks to Chris (pegbox) who today offered everything bar his first born in order to get me there this weekend.

As I said to Chris, at the end of the day, I have got a four week head start on next year, but I think you have to know when enough is enough. Tonight I have been able to help my nipper with his History homework (The Tudors seriously needed to sort out there toilet habits!!) and we have had our first family meal in three weeks.

We said at the start Brands was the target, but we wouldn’t go if we weren’t totally ready and happy with everything, and unfortunatly that is where we are.

We are still going to Brands, I will be the one with a beer in my hand!!!

Sean…

Heroic efforts by everyone you mention. Glad your taking all the positives forward, & I’m really hoping that you & your team have a great 2008 season

Also, please have a couple of beers for me, as I can’t be there this weekend - ta

Amazing effort Sean, shame you won’t be racing but as you say the car is ready well in advance of next season. Make sure you fit a pax seat and bring it along to some t’days in the interim

See you at the weekend…

Ouch … so close but to get that far in such a short space of time … bloody brilliant - at least you can do some winter testing

Super post Sean… shame the car won’t be ready… much respect to those that helped you too.

That’s a real shame Sean and so close to finishing. I am impressed that you got as far as you did given the time you had. Well done mate. At least now you’ve got plenty of time to turn it into a stonking car for next year.

See you on Sunday.

Bernard

Thanks guys.

And thanks again Bernard for all of your help over the last few weeks.

Sean…

As of our conversation yesterday i was gutted for you; having got so close to finishing only to be stopped by two parts. However on reflection as you mentioned sometimes you can just go too far, you need to know when to stop. This way you are well ahead for next year, you can take your time finishing and prepping the car to the highest possible standard leaving plenty of test time available before the season starts which in the end is an amazing result. All credit to the team !!!

Will see you at Brands on Sunday with a beer in one hand and hopefully a pair of driveshafts in the other!!!