Music type noisage

Hi again all…

OK, first off I know nothing about ICE (but I know good sound q.) so what do you guys do for noise on the motorway hauls?

I’ve been thinking about something like Pioneer Sterero Jobbie but not too sure if it’s worth it as the 2 alpine speakers are a bit on the wee side

Any advise appreciated!
Mark

Mr Lima

It’s a waste of money buying ICE for an Exige!

Get a mobile phone with a built in radio - you can then listen to Radio 2 like me

I was thinking that and have been doing the head phone thing but I really dislike driving with headphones…

Is it really a complete waste of time? Even when plodding along so not really under load? Remember I’ve got a stock exhaust…

Hi Lima,

the 2 speakers in the back are very bad. No bass and no place to put a subwoofer. The Elise (both S1 and S2) have much better sound.

The only way to add good sound to the Exige would be to go for the Da Capo system, but it adds weight: 1 Kg for about �500, but that’s excluding the head unit. You still have to buy that, and your choice is as good as any.

I went myself for the stealth look, a Kenwood Chamaleon.
It’s as good as all, with the added advantage that when off, it retracts to a flat black face, seems there is no stereo in the car. Open it looks like in the pic.
But they don’t make it anymore.

Still, any stereo you install is bound to sound shite on its own.
If you are really interested in Hi Fi then go for the Da Capo system, but then, you can only enjoy HiFi with the engine off or low revs.

Uldis

Still can’t understand why anyone puts any ICE in an Exige - it’ll sound crap, even if you can hear it over the engine/road noise. Much better to spend money on tyres/pads/trackdays etc.

Just my personal opinion.

I guess, you realise I don’t want to go mad and have 600w of pumping bass

It’s got the 2 speakers fitted so all I need is a head unit… But are the speakers pap? There’s a lot of depth behind them so you could get something…

I’d much rather have the stereo up loud (and sounding poo) than earphones, it just detaches me from what’s going on.

What’s the stock head unit like?

I guess, you realise I don’t want to go mad and have 600w of pumping bass

LOL

What’s the stock head unit like?

There wasn’t one fitted by the factory. It cost �150 to have car specced with RFK (radio fitting kit), comprising ariel, 2 speakers & wiring.

I have a Sony MD unit and the 2 alpine speakers and it sounds pretty good to me, but you will have to turn it up a bit over 90mph. OK you will get some distortion if you turn the bass up, you are limited somewhat with the interior of the exige on speaker size. I find the 2 alpines are fine with a for day to day use.

Gotcha… I’ve got the RFK installed then

Thanks Dan, that was the kind of suggestion I was after… To complete the look though I’ll need something that looks cool for maximum pose value

To complete the look though I’ll need something that looks cool for maximum pose value

Have you considered a Nomex race suit??

Only kidding - but you do need an Exiges.com sunstrip - I’ll bring one to Oulton for you.

The day I turn up to a trackday in a Nomex (or even imitation Nomex) race suit you all have the right to shoot me dead

Yeah the sunstrip would be cool, already had the joy of the setting sun and nothing you can do about it!

… But are the speakers pap? There’s a lot of depth behind them so you could get something…

Yes, they’re crap, and there is not a lot of depth behind, you can fit one size up speakers if you wish but that’s it.

And Pesky, I know, I already spend too much on tyres and track days (and fuel to drive around the UK).
Perhaps when I decide not to track the Exige anymore, I’ll install the Da Capo system…

And Lima, strange, but I’ve found that an Exige has zero pose value
Girls strangely don’t look at you or the car, only lads and kids (so it’s irrelevant).

Could it be that it looks too… agressive (!?)

My stereo is good for telling the time!
“And Lima, strange, but I’ve found that an Exige has zero pose value
Girls strangely don’t look at you or the car, only lads and kids (so it’s irrelevant).”
Had a girl once flash her t*ts as i drove by.

Did you stop to give her a lift?

I guess I have to go and visit Southhampton!

Had a girl once flash her t*ts as i drove by.

Bet that was Sally, EvoSal’s mate

LOL! I’ve already had some attention from it, some girls saying it was a buff car Plus an old G/F of mine said she nearly crashed when she drove by mine and saw it

The pose bit come from the abuse I get on the MR2 list, there’s was some pictures from cadwell park and one was of me leaning against my SC talking to this old geezer (who creeped me out quite a bit) but hence to say from then on it’s the running joke that I go to trackdays and just “pose”

Well I think I’ll get that head unit as a crimbo pressie for me so at least I can listen to something on the way to Oulton

RL

I’ve got a boggo standard SOny head unit (one shot cd/radio) and the standard speakers (are they alpines?) -

This will make you laugh but… I turn it up as loud as it will go without distortion then put earplugs in and off I go… it gives me something to keep me interested on long motorway hauls… I’m inclined to switch it off when really enjoying myself tho’ …

Basically I wouldn’t spend much money on hifi for an exige - there is no way anything that will fit in the available space could ever sound like hifi when you are on the move (but you know this) I can still enjoy my favourite cd’s tho…

Bugger, one of the speakers just broke today (wire).
Just in time for the long journey on Thursday…

I’ve got a boggo standard SOny head unit (one shot cd/radio) and the standard speakers (are they alpines?) -

This will make you laugh but… I turn it up as loud as it will go without distortion then put earplugs in and off I go… it gives me something to keep me interested on long motorway hauls… I’m inclined to switch it off when really enjoying myself tho’ …

Basically I wouldn’t spend much money on hifi for an exige - there is no way anything that will fit in the available space could ever sound like hifi when you are on the move (but you know this) I can still enjoy my favourite cd’s tho…

I couldn’t have put it better myself. I’m exactly the same, except by Sony head-unit is MD rather than CD (no skipping on the rough stuff and 4 CDs worth on a disk). It has the same plain black face that Uldis mentions when switched off. The ear phone trick allowed me to cruise back to London from Anglesey, 4hrs straight, post track day listening to Chillout tunes.

One thing I really hate is that the radio reception is pants on an Exige, hard to hear the local traffic updates.

The best Exige ICE I’ve seem was IPJ’s car. He replaced the passenger foot rest with a sub-woofer, the main speakers, an amp behind the seat and tweaters in the coin trays. He still turned it off when he wanted to ‘have fun’ though.

Ian

IDG

Cheers
I wanted MD but it had CD when I gottit and i wasnt going to spend dosh to kill dead things…