Motorsport rear wing ?

Hello people new to this forum as i’ve just brought an Exige.

Have a few questions about the big motorsport rear wing that you can buy for the S1 exige.(like pesky’s one)

Does it simply bolt on to the existing spoiler posts?

Use my car mainly on the road and a few trackdays, so will it create so much downforce that my top speed is badly affected like on motoways?

If you wanted to can you swap spoilers round easily i.e put the original one back on quickly?

My reason for buying one would be for the look and extra grip on trackdays.

Any advice would be helpful
Cheers

Mark

The wing won’t fit on the original mounts - prevents opening the engine cover.

A couple of options:

The first is to buy the Eliseparts ones, which the wing fits onto, plus their aluminium uprights which fit the mounts to the longerons on the chassis. This gives max downforce effect. Also the rear clam needs to be “cut” to enable the mounts to fasten onto the ali uprights.

The second choice. is that I can supply powder coated mounts, which simply replace the original Exige ones ie they fix on the rear clam, but they don’t have the same downforce effect as the above. These mounts are �50 for the pair.

Unless you’re doing over 130mph on the motorways, I wouldn’t worry about the effect on top speed.

I’m about to order some - let me know if you want one �650 plus p&p �25 (obviously from the above, the mounts are extra).

Cool Thanks mate.

Just spanked a load of money with eliseparts ordered the new front ep calipers(as i drive quite hard and was getting brake fade on the road with two of us in the car, even tho it has uprated AP bells and disks all round) and some carbon trim for inside.

The brackets that you do is that whats fitted on you car, does the rear clam still need cutting?

Dont quite undserstand do you sell parts then how would i pay you ect…

Mark

I’ve got the Eliseparts mounts, & ali extensions to the longerons on my car - so the clam has been cut.

The alternative mounts look similar to the originals, use the same bolt holes on the clam (which doesn’t need cutting), but locate the wing slightly further back to allow the engine cover to open.

Payment - cheque will be okay.

Not sure of delivery date yet, but if you definately want one, I’ll find out today.

PS Brake fade - what pads were/are you using, & presumably you’ve got braided brake hoses?

Just gone outside to check whats what on the car, now i understand.

I’ve just spent alot recently on the car as mentioned above so will need to save for a bit before i go ahead.

but it will be my next mod i’ll let you know.

Thanks Pesky for advice its great this forum didn’t expect reply so fast, Pesky’s a legend!

Ps. have braided hoses and pagid rs14 front and back according to car history. mybe it was to do with all the weight in the car i’m 13stone and my dad is 15stone. brakes dont seem to like 2people in the car, the reason for the brake upgrade is for the road not so much for track as i have had very big brakes on all my cars and have always got me out of sticky situations.

Mark

I’ve just ordered some more for delivery (to me) in 10-14 days. I’ve earmarked one for you - presume you’ll want it during March?

Pesky

What is the difference in downforce between the two options?

Is the difference due to the more rearward mounting of one of the options?

Has anyone considered one of the new wings with the front lip curved upwards? They are sort of more 3D in look and resemble those used in the Japan touring car champ and more recently some F1 cars.

Pesky

What is the difference in downforce between the two options?

Is the difference due to the more rearward mounting of one of the options?

Sorry, unable to quantify that.TBH it probably doesn’t matter, unless you’re going for a qualifying time!

Difference is that the Eliseparts mounts (& ali extension plates) fit directly onto the chassis longerons, & have more adjustment possibilities, using the mounts shown below:

[image]http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/bmz_cache/0/0395dd6d933b75a44dd006914d034ac1.image.400x283.jpg[/image]

The wings themselves have 4 position brackets too:

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/pesk6.jpg[/image]

Right Mr Pesky decided!

Will order the longer ali mounts from Eliseparts and will do it properly and bolt them to the ali whatever and put slits in my clam.
Do you have to drill holes into the ali to mount the brackets inside the engine compartment?

Can you PM me your details will send you cheque now so by the time you get them, payment should of cleared and you can post it to me

Cheers

Nice one Mark

I’ll send you a “pm” via this forum with payment details etc.

In the meantime, I’ve just taken theses pics of my wing & the mounts etc:

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/Re-Furb%202008/SNB20186.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/Re-Furb%202008/SNB20185.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/Re-Furb%202008/SNB20184.jpg[/image]

Set to FWP i see

I am being tempted by a Rotrex supercharger kit at the moment so will have to hold on the carbon tat for the meantime

Set to FWP i see

But you missed the “Gurney flap”

You could just space the front up on your exige wing to make it actually work. The default factory angle is constantly in stall.

Something sounds messed up if you can generate brakefade on the road. Remember people have raced these quite happily and trackday’d on standard brakes.
Seems a bit OTT to buy new calipers
(they are pretty and blingy and i totally understand THAT angle to get a set… )

Something sounds messed up if you can generate brakefade on the road. Remember people have raced these quite happily and trackday’d on standard brakes.
Seems a bit OTT to buy new calipers
(they are pretty and blingy and i totally understand THAT angle to get a set… )

Yeah, something’s not right there… I’m the last last last of the late brakers on track, and have yet to feel anything other than perfect brake operation, completely fade-free.

Standard brakes, cheap-as-chips EBC discs, RS14s, braided hoses and 048s… I reckon you could keep that same setup with an S/C Honda lump too… doesn’t Randy use a not-far-from-standard setup even on his 24 hour endurance-spec car?

doesn’t Randy use a not-far-from-standard setup even on his 24 hour endurance-spec car?

To the casual eye yes. However, he uses the same calipers on front & back (ie oem fronts), & he has bespoke pistons in them. Not sure which master cylinder he has though.

PS You may be well be a late braker, but your entry speed will be somewhat less than that of a Honda s/c, or Audi

Something sounds messed up if you can generate brakefade on the road.

reading the original post that struck me most

Agree…shouldn’t be getting anywhere near brake fade on the road.

Standard discs/calipers with RS42’s are damn good even on track…no sign of fade.

it has got ap disks and rs14 pads with braded lines and srf fluid if its still on the same stuff as when i sold the car. You wouldn’ get brake fade with them on the road unless something is wrong somewhere, you’d struggle on the track to get brake fade.

mark did you just buy my old red Exige or were you the person who brought it off Ed? Its getting a few owners now if your another new one.

Yes mate it is your old car i brought it off the dude who brought it off Ed.

Long story but i own a R34 660bhp skyline GTR, i’m a member on the owners club and found out about another members car collection he had five mad cars, one of which was the exige. I saw the car a year ago advertised in pistonheads and really wanted it but missed out. its the perfect exige in my eyes, i love the colour with the nice black bits motosport scoop, undertray, twin lights…ect then theres the honda engine + s/c. i’ve also saved on the time and hassle of having to buy a standard car and then spend loads on it to get it to this spec.
He only used it the once since he owned it for the 8months
So i offered him his money back on it and we did a deal.

P.s not that i’m proud of it but i do drive very hard on the road and love braking very late!! all my cars have uprated brakes on them. I agree on the track they would be fine but on the road when cars dont even realize your there pull out on you…ect ect, you need to be stopping well.
I have had the brakes checked they are all fine. its just not enough bite at the end for me.