Motorsport engine cover ?

Anybody got one of these lying around? I could use one now its summer and having no AC makes it a tad warm.

Carsten

It won’t make much difference to cockpit temperature - the water & oil pipes running in sills make sure that you won’t freeze! Once there’s “heatsoak” in the cockpit, you’re knackered, unless you have aircon which does help cool things down - provided it’s in good working order!

Eliseparts sell a “motorsport” cover for about �400, but it beeds painting & fixing, so you’ll be looking at �800 plus (unless you can do it yourself)!

Oddly enough, having the window down whilst driving increases the cockpit temp - hot air from the radiator is “sucked” inside.

Yea, I am not worried about that bit, I just want ventilate the enngine area better with and so it might releive the firewall and window of a little heat… I hope.
Otherwise, I will talk to geary later this week, I was just checking if anybody had a Lotus one spare

Carsten

Many of us have “cut away” the area around the rear numberplate to help engine bay cooling. Numberplate is then removable (for on track activities) & fastened with velcro.

See Here

I have an even more basic design than this and can feel the cabin temp difference/slight performance change if I forget to take the plate off when out on track. Highly recommended!

Ian

Hmm, any opportunity is good to flaunt that nice rear end of yours, eh Pesky?

I have the Motorsport engine cover, and it makes a big difference to the temperature both in the cabin, and in the engine bay. It stops the rear window from turning into a big radiator that heats up your head. It also now means that even when stuck for ages in heavy traffic on a really sweltering day, the water temp never gets near 100 degrees. I may as well removing the cooling fan from the radiator as I can’t think of any circumstances where the car could overheat.
I believe RussT has the Eliseparts version of the cover, and is not overly impressed with the way it fits

If anyone one has an original engine cover they want some cash for I may be interested? Pls email mail [email protected]

Cheers

as an aside… would his be viewed as road legal given rear view is obstructed (I know the original gives poor visibility)- dont know what a coppers views would be on this?

Though long hot drives may make this useful. I found a drive from London to Carlisle meant the first traffic jam at Birmingham (surprise surprise) meant that the engine went from 80 to 110 inside 10 minutes…

.I believe RussT has the Eliseparts version of the cover, and is not overly impressed with the way it fits

Thanks Brendan - I’m still feeling guilty about swopping that with Russ

Godspeed - I have a cunning plan about the engine cover because I dont want to fit the perfect SH one that RussT swapped with me - cos I’m convinced its UV radiation and heat that causes the delamination

So … I plan to get my original one painted black on the top surface - first with a plastic etch primer ( flex problem ) and then gloss back.

Maybe it looks but I figured it will be worth the try ?

as an aside… would his be viewed as road legal given rear view is obstructed (I know the original gives poor visibility)- dont know what a coppers views would be on this?

I think the S2 (which probably has ABS for EU/US regs reasons) has a worse rear view.

AndyD, I reckon that’s worth a go.

Ian

Of course I would leave the big clear bit in the middle still clear

.I believe RussT has the Eliseparts version of the cover, and is not overly impressed with the way it fits

S’ok Andy, I think it is slowly bending into shape!!!

Oops Must learn to keep my mouth shut

I’m sure it would be fine with some decent fixings.

AndyD - sounds like a possibility - keep us posted if you go down that route!