MOT emissions

Hi Friends

My 190 K series with sports cat has failed the MOT on emissions although my ‘friendly’ garage passed it as they feel it is an unfair test for our type of vehicles with this level of tuning. I know the official Lotus view is that 190 upgrade is for track use only but with the MOT test going live soon the only way to get it through would be to stick it up the exhaust of another car !! What do you guys do to get the damn things through the test (legally)?

I failed.

Mine has an emerald and verniers and was not even close on the CO even after lots of map tweaking. I have since found out that there is quite a lot more tweaking that could be done, so will give it another go next year.

I had this trouble a few weeks back. You can read the whole story on Seloc (if you have a login).

To cut a long story short, I ended up having to go to the MOT test station with my laptop and lean out the fuelling at IDLE and FAST IDLE, while it was connected to the emissions analyser.

Soon as the test was passed, one button press & back to how it was.

You can only do this with a programmable ECU, such as an Emerald. If you’ve got the Standard ECU which is hard coded, your only real option is to keep going back to your friendly garage…

There’s quite a few 190s that have passed with the std Cat. Try a search.

Ian

I know the official Lotus view is that 190 upgrade is for track use only

I believe that this is only to do with testing requirements for selling the parts rather than saying they are unfit for the road per se.

As i posted about 3 weeks ago my 190 sailed through the emissions test fitted with a Larini cat-with the standard Lotus cat the year before it just scraped through.

could that have been more to do with the age of your lotus cat rather than any implied benefit of the larini one?

could that have been more to do with the age of your lotus cat rather than any implied benefit of the larini one?

Welcome to “The Pedants Club” , of which I am El Presidento, & Mr Admin is an Honary Life Member

thank you

is there a badge i get?

is there a badge i get?

Don’t be so pedantic!

My car went through no problem the last 2 years with it’s 190VHPD, due again in a few weeks time, but will have no problems this year

My 190 also passed ok last year with the cat on no problem, this year I took it somewhere de-cat friendly!

…and mine…

Standard CAT gets the job done…

Nick Whale passed ours before we picked it up, so there can’t be any issue with emmissions (especially as the cat was still in the boot and didn’t look like it had been touched)

Not really because I took the cat off when I bought the car so Its unused apart from MOT.

Not really because I took the cat off when I bought the car so Its unused apart from MOT.

A cat will deteriorate over time. I’m not sure whether storing one will actually cause it to fail at a greater rate than having it fitted and in regular use, but I do know that when storing it the advice has been to make sure its in an airtight and most importantly dry bag. I stored mine with bags of that gel that absorb water.

A cat will deteriorate over time. I’m not sure whether storing one will actually cause it to fail at a greater rate than having it fitted and in regular use, but I do know that when storing it the advice has been to make sure its in an airtight and most importantly dry bag. I stored mine with bags of that gel that absorb water.

So not in the corner of the garage piled hight with crap and the cat full of spiders???

So not in the corner of the garage piled hight with crap and the cat full of spiders???

Probably not - although nature has a strange habit of surprising us, maybe the spiders breath or the silk they weave their webs with has a special as yet unknown property that will keep the cat in pristine conditions!

I’m no expert on this advice, just following what has been the general concensus with regard to previous advice and it does appear to make sense.