Meta 99 Immobilser problem ??- HELP PLEASE !

Weird!

How far away is Hethel? What about the AA? They can attached to ECUs but I’m not sure the std one gives out much info. They may be able to tell you if it’s the ECU.

Ian

That standard ECU will give a full list of code for pretty much all the sensors…

…But it’s getting it read

Sounds like something is breaking (connection) when it’s hot… Do you still get a spark and fuel when it’s hot?

If the fault occurs again tonight I will have a plug out to determine if it is spark or fuel that is the problem, but unfortunately that still won’t tell me the root cause.

Will dig out a Yellow Pages and find the nearest dealer with a garage.

Thanks for continuing to listen and suggest !

certainly sounds like its a heat related problem… so either an electrical connection is expanding towards open-cct, like maybe a relay being dodgy when its hot?.. have you tried swapping the ignition/fuel relays around?.. on an exige they are on the bulkhead… not sure about an elise… or fuel is evaporating ??

What about your fuel pressure and fuel filter ? have you had these checked ?

Thanks RoxTeddy - I have not tried the relays I will do so tonight.

I thought that I had it last night as it started ok then did not as per usual - I have now changed all of the engine sensors that feed the ECU so I plugged in an Emerald off a different S2 engine - it ran fine - swapped back and no joy …hey presto I thought faulty ECU - so did a 4 hour round trip today to buy another K4 ecu - plugged it in - sh1t no joy ! - plug the Emerald in - it runs !!!
What is the difference between a K4 and an emerald that means it will start every time on the Emerald but only when cold on either of the K4 ecu’s ??

Ah bugger according to the manual the fuel and ign relays on the elise are contained in the one main multifunction relay unit - I have already replaced this ! At a loss now - again !

Dibba

Does the emerald use the ECU temperature sender ?

Another thing… the emerald doesn’t use the vacuum adjust stuff for the fuel pressure regulator. I think you may have a fuel pressure problem ? have you checked it or checked the fuel filter ?

Uldis might help here he knows more about this and the emerald.

Thanks again RoxTeddy.

Yes the Emerald does use the same temp sender signal as the std ECU - so presunmably rules this out (plus it has been changed for a new one).

The Emerald I have does in fact T into the fuel pressure regulator valve vacuum pipe

I will get a filter and swap over tomorrow and will also try to borrow a pressure guage to check the fuel pressure but wouldn’t a problem here affect the car all of the time ?
She will always start if she has been left, it is only when she has been started that she will then play up - some times straight away sometimes not until warm. But will always start on the Emerald any time.

Is it likely that I have 2 faulty std ECU’s ?? Probably not I guess.

I will also call Emerald tomorrow to see if they can shed any light - plus pray a lttle tonight for some divine intervention or something because it is going to need a greater man than me at present !!

Thanks again for the input - helps to keep me sane at present

The Emerald I have does in fact T into the fuel pressure regulator valve vacuum pipe

This does not mean that the ECU is controlling the fuel pressure.
It is connected to a vaccuum line which goes to a black spherical vaccuum accumulator and then back. It’s like this so at partial throttle openings (high vaccuum) the regulator decreases the fuel pressure, enabling longer injector open times, so it can be metered better (and makes it easy for the pump).

A common cause in Exige faults are leaking vaccuum hoses.
Check them out, in all their length, they might have rubbed against something for miles and now let air pass.

I got rid of all them (only leaving the ones for the IACV) so run the fuel pressure constant.

Thanks Uldis - I will check these tonight also.

Just for completness - I changed the fuel rail last night and touch wood all appears to be fine again

Very many thanks once agin for all of the advice and help over the last week !!

Out of interest, what made you think the fuel rail was at fault?

Yes, that was an odd solution…

To be perfectly honest I changed the fuel rail as it was extremely late and I could not think of anything else to change / what it might be.
I did not have a guage to check the fuel pressure but did have a fuel rail so on the off chance that it was something strange to do with the vac / fuel reg valve (that is integral to the rail on an elise) I changed it out of sheer desperation (and it gave me something to do other than bang my head on the gargae wall )

Fingers still crossed at present though

Dibba

is that it fixed then ?

Hi there ,
Please can you help?
I have just bought a 2001 Elise Racetech and its giving me the exact same problem as yours was.
Did you ever manage to fix it?
cheers
ken