Mapping session 2 today

John took my car back to Syvecs today for another mapping session and to finish everything off.

We were all pretty surprised at the power it made. So spec wise my car is a 240bhp car that has had a 260 fuel pump fitted and a TRD airbox. That is it.

The car still has a standard SC pulley, so is running standard boost.

It made 290BHP!!! I thought that was really good.

Thankfully the dyno cell was freezing this morning, so with my ultra spec standard intercooler :wink: the charge temps only got up to about 40 degrees. John did say they left quite a bit of time between each full hammer run.

So that is that. The map is nice and safe, but with optimisted fueling and ignition. John says it drives lovely on the road and starts nice, and does all the other stuff we all expect.

We have also finalised feeding info to both the early and late style dash’s and also AIM.

As far as I am aware, the only thing outstanding is getting the variable Traction Control knob, to actually vary the TC on the new ECU. I believe John has it set with an amount of TC on and it can be switched off, but not varied as yet. But its just a matter of a bit more playing about apparently.

John, can you correct any of the above if I have got it wrong please.

I guess I better get to the back of the ‘new gearbox’ queue. :wink:

On the gearbox front, the audi box project is moving forward slowly, but it is moving. We have a new crown wheel and pinion gears specced that will make the ratios nice and close, the adaptor plate has been started and the engine mounts are pretty much there. We still have a few potential issues with the diff hitting the subframe and the driveshaft hitting the engine, but i’m sure its nothing that John and Wayne dont have in hand.

In other news and I probably shouldn’t say this, but I have changed my every day car. A long story, but basically I got followed home in my RS6 and it scared the shit out of me, so it had to go, especially after I told the wife as she properly freaked out. Anyway I have replaced it for the time being with a Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 that is equipped with a DSG gearbox. OH WOW the box, is really really nice in my opinion. The gear change is amazing, and would be awesome in a Lotus, on a track. They are properly complicated bits of kit though, so we will see where it takes us.

Sean…

Cracking news on the dyno.

Bad news on the other car front but lol on the way you get to play with a new g/box option.

Had a long chat with John after the mapping session, That is one nice ECU, CANY WAIT FOR MINE!!!
Yes I know chatting again but he had finished work…

Have you finished your car yet Dave? :wink:

Hoping the gearbox thing works out at reasonable cost … I still can’t justify rebuilding mine and still having crap syncros when compared to a German box …
Ps. Did you do a base run before the ecu swap ?

OK so now I’m really interested!
My zige is currently a standard 240PP (if you can call isotope green standard), and it’s due at JSR shortly for the Ohlins 46 one ways.

Maybe I should get John to fit the 260 fuel pump, TRD air box and the Syvecs while he’s at it… :smiley:

Yes the base run is on the dyno graph as well. It made just over 240bhp

I believe the 240 map doesn’t allow 100% throttle opening though so it may be more realistic to compare the results to a 260 car rather than a restricted 240.
Not knocking your efforts at all ,but need to compare apples with apples.
I’ve seen one CN 260 car make 297

That, is a top result Sean :sunglasses:

[quote=SeanB]Have you finished your car yet Dave? :wink:
[/quote]
naaa stuck for an ECU!!! :whistle:
But with the ECU well on its way that excuse is about to run out, so with Pesky John and you pestering I need it finished to get you all of my back!!
D day will hopefully be Anglesey

[quote=jfk]I believe the 240 map doesn’t allow 100% throttle opening though so it may be more realistic to compare the results to a 260 car rather than a restricted 240.
[/quote]

I agree, but remember the aim here was never go for every last BHP, just to make it a nice safe drivable map, with a different ECU. I was just surprised at my car making that much ooomphhhh.

Benja, fancy take 2 at Donno now?? :wink:

Maping in the cold is for fools…but enjoy it while you can.

Its always cold here!

[quote=jfk]I believe the 240 map doesn’t allow 100% throttle opening though so it may be more realistic to compare the results to a 260 car rather than a restricted 240.
[/quote]
297 what though? The numbers Sean is talking about are a comparison, 50 more with nothing more than a differant ECU is a top result

[quote=SeanB]
Benja, fancy take 2 at Donno now?? :wink: [/quote]

Haha, anytime bud :smiley:

" oh hi John, about fitting my car in for CC, exhaust, cams and a remap? Could you fit it in before Donny…" :wink:

Sorry to hear about the RS6 going but knowing JF’s story it’s just not worth it.

Get yourself some old German metal that the scumbags won’t want. I can actually see you driving (sideways) in an E28 M5 like this one

Hope the throtle cable version is still in the pipeline.

Ex77

I do like those old 5’s actually. A mate of mine used to have an M535 in that shape and that was a lovely car.

Interesting reading and great results!

I’d be interested in getting the original map on my car sorted to produce what it’s supposed to be producing! I had a rolling road session early last year, and the car came in with around 223hp rather than the 240 it should be producing, whereas others tested that same day hit their anticipated figures or better, so something must be amiss :frowning:

Where can I get my map checked/tweaked in the south? Surrey Rolling Road would be ideal for confirming the figures, but I believe they don’t actually do the mapping.

Am really excited about this.

I was considering the audi conversion but am now wondering, why not just do the gearbox since I am at 300bhp already.

I wonder if it would be easier to just swap the engine and gearbox.