Loud boom on hard up-shift?!

I�ve noticed a rather loud �percussion boom� at the point of up-shift through the gears and changing approx 6800 � 7000rpm.

I am used to hearing a few pops and bangs when I am decelerating and down gearing, but never had these bangs before on hard acceleration.

Is this normal? If so, what is the reason for this?

Dont know if it is normal but mine does it as well. It is flames exploding out of the exhaust . Take it you have a cat pipe and sports exhaust as mine doesnt do it with the cat in.

mine does that + 2 foot flame

Only time i have had that is when i have had to out of desperation fill up with bad fuel (low octane), it’s not the usual pop and bang, more like a platic bag being popped ? Try filling up with some good quality fuel.

At the risk of being laughed at i would go so far as suggesting that if it continues and never did it before, it could be the lamda sensor.

• Sneaks off to dissapear into crowd inconspicuosly -

I only fill up with Shell Optimax which is the expensive higher octane stuff. OK�…what is a Lamda sensor and why are you sheepish to mention it? 

Carttman

I only use Optimax as well and it doesnt do it with the cat in - so I assumed it was due to having a straight through exhaust and cat pipe. I have the Eliseparts back box which is about as straight through as you can get!

You can make this happen if you “lazy” shift at about 7K when the exhuast is at a good temperature.

Seems to only work for me with Optimax or BP Ultimate and then only after a good thrashing so its nice and hot -

I do it deliberate when someone is a bit close …

If you shift faster or at higher revs it doesnt happen

My experience anyhow …

I tried it last night but to no avail… I’ll try the “lazy” shift and see if that works

My neighbour saw flames from mine 1/2 mile away

OK�…what is a Lamda sensor and why are you sheepish to mention it? 

Carttman

the Lambda sensor measures the oxygen level in the exhaust to make sure the mixture is optimum for the catalyst (but not optimum performance). If you have a cat bypass or computer that ignores the lambda probe it is irrelevant.

…so I guess most people with Exiges require Lamda sensors then?

Carttman

My neighbour saw flames from mine 1/2 mile away

That’s some palatial manor you have!

if only

LOL