Lotus Sport ECU Upgrade Problems

The feedback has been that there is no second cam at all and the car has no performance gain at the earlier cam change point of 5700 rpm or the original 6200 rpm.

No second cam - no wonder you were so unimpressed with the ‘upgrade’ at first! Glad it is getting sorted. The more I drive my car with the reflashed ECU, the better I think it is, so I am sure you will love it.

Mark

Nick Whales have now checked the new replacement ECU out on another car and the good news is that it works unlike the first one.

I will hopefully get my car in soon to get it fitted and bring this problem to an end.

Thanks to Nick Whales for sticking with this problem and doing every thing possible to give me as little grief as possible.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Bad news is when ever I am free to pop in and get the ECU swapped over the dealers have been up to there necks trying to get work out while being a mechanic down and have not been able to sort me out. Or when they are free I have been to swamped with work and can’t get the car in to them.

Gutted because I was hoping to go off to North Whales this weekend and I wanted to do this trip with the upgraded ecu I had done in the beginning of February.

It’s not the dealers fault, because Lotus Motorsport dragged there heals blaming every thing else instead of accepting they had a duff ECU. I don’t like being lied to.

I was going to sort out some other upgrade items from Lotus Motorsport, but if this is service at their best they can stick it.

If Lotus hadn’t built me such a bad car I wouldn’t be driving this KTM / Porsche / Noble (delete as appropriate)

Well the Lotus Motor Sport ECU is now on the Exige after some teething problems, which took longer than expected to sort out.

But what I can say is that it has made a lot of difference. It is now much easier to keep on cam and it also feels like there is more punch from about 5000rpm.

The old ecu had a flat spot before it gets to the second cam, which has been the biggest complaint from owners. It was also much harder to keep on cam because when you changed gear you often dropped out of the power band. This does not happen now.

Now the car is far more progressive in it�s acceleration, it now hits second cam at about 5700rpm and just goes. The cam change is not as pronounced as the old change point at 6200 rpm but is noticeable and much more usable.

To anyone with a normally aspirated Toyota engined S2 Exige or 111r. I would say that this upgrade will make a big difference to your car. It is worth every penny IMHO. If there is one thing you do to upgrade your car this should be it.

I would like to thank the guys at Nick Whale Sportscars for the extra unpaid time and effort that they have put in to getting my car sorted out. A first class service from them as always.

Well the new ecu performed fantasticly today. What a difference.

There is one problem, The Engine warning light came on while giving it some stick up a steep hill. It was fine until then. I had done over a hundred miles.

I know what the fault will be, it will relate to an exhaust emmissions error. I rang the dealers. who asked if the car feel ok. which it did and they said don’t worry about it, bring it in and we will clear it for you.

I understand that you can reset the ecu manually by starting up the car, turning it off and setting the imbobilser and then disarming it and starting the car. repeating this half a dozen times. I have tried that and it does not reset the warning light.

Am I doing it right?

Any advice?

imo dont touch it for 2 weeks mine came on for a while when it was learning then it went off and has never come on again

I must have done nearly 200 miles and it came on about 80 in to that

Hell I just finished 1,000mi with a custom tuned stock ECU [no piggyback] with speeds ranging 45-145mph…Lotus Sport won’t sell you a tune or a ecu that will do that…Oh yeah it’s a 290rwhp supercharged Toyota 2ZZ…no cel’s

hell man i just finished a 5 mile thrash with speeds ranging from 0 to 147 mph through motorway passes,
yes,
lotus can make cars like that ,
if you have 290 rwhp ,i do think you should be hitting more than the bog standard top speed,
stop blowing your yankee trumpet over unimpressive speeds,
us brits would like to here that a maccy dee eating yankee doodle dandy can get there fed loti over our standard skinny brit book speeds.
i think about 175 mph would be a good post.
LOL

he’s talking about reliabilty not top speeds.

more HP doesn’t always give more top end, the gearing is limited too.

hell man i just finished a 5 mile thrash with speeds ranging from 0 to 147 mph through motorway passes,

At 147mph 5 miles must come up in about 2 minutes - can’t believe that you have thrashed your engine from cold in that amount of time

who said the engine was cold ?
also could n’t you tell that i might have been taking the mickey a little.