Lotus Motorsport 260 upgrade

It just so happens that I know the guy at Lotus who is working on my car. He dropped me a message last night to say that the gearbox was back in after the flywheel install, the ECU was sorted and the fuel pump was done. He said that he just had a few bits to tidy up this morning and then it’ll be finished :smiley:

They’re just waiting on my shear panel now to turn up, but I should be fine to collect on Friday.

Happy days :smiley:

Just in time for more snow!

I should JUST miss it…

The weekend is another matter though :frowning:

�600 for a flywheel!? �500 to fit it!? :astonished:

I’d have shopped around

[quote=AdamK][quote=C8UER]

The majority of that is the flywheel (�600ish for the part and �500ish for fitting).
[/quote]

�600 for a flywheel!? �500 to fit it!? :astonished:

I’d have shopped around [/quote]

Well I wanted the work carried out at Lotus so that was the going rate. Still I’m not too worried because I know when I drive it, it’s going to be well worth it!

Is it too late to get a proper manifold on while the rest is being done ?

I might do that in the New Year along with the intercooler, but I’ll have to see :slight_smile:

New manifold means remap, trust me I saw how lean mine went when they just changed the bore size of the exhaust :frowning:

Hmm … not so quick Ade …
It now seems that as long as the lotus ECU has the hardware available ( pump and bigger injectors ) it will over the course of time adjust the fueling to suit . Lotus say 30 mies or so , but it seems in reality to take about 300 miles or so …
Yes , initially it will run lean , but the clever ECU won’t just idly sit by and let the engine melt !
I have this info on good authority btw …

Ah sadly no, on normal driving it does, however on wide open throttle the ECU uses a different mode, closed loop rather than open loop (I can never remember which is which) While using WoT the ECU uses a fixed map rather than the variable one used in real world driving. There is also limits to what the ECU will allow in the learning mode before it throws a code and turns on the engine management light.
That make any sense at all or does it sound like the jabbering of a mad man?

Sorry buts that’s balls from Lotus. My car was running lean from a sports cat and I did about 100 miles with high octane fuel and it was still pinking.

Car is booked in next Tuesday for my 4-1, flexi de-cat and mappin g:)

Lol. Time will tell as I’m not having mine re mapped…
There are plenty of manifolds out there now and as far as I’m aware no melted pistons ?
Ade I’m surprised you havnt had the same conversation with my source , as I believe you know him well !
:wink:
Maybe 100 miles was not enough ?
Blacktoy have you got the bigger pump and injectors ?

With a name like that, I am sure his are HUGE man! :smiley:

Hey Ade … just a thought , I,m willing to drive down to Sinc,s after I,ve done a few miles to get the A/F ratio checked if you could arrange it … this will either prove/disprove the theory one way or the other ?

You have got him worried now Ade!!! :smiley:

I might just be the first one on here to fit an EGT gauge !
:smiley:
( exhaust gas temperature )

My experience of remapped ecu’s is that the ‘auto learn’ function is often disabled as part of the remap. I’ve no idea if this is the case on the exiges, but it does suggest the gotham mapped cars cannot adjust to exhaust and intake alterations. The standard lotus map/ecu may well be able adjust fuelling sufficently…

When I spoke to Jim Valentine @ 2bular, he did suggest that running a 2bular manifold would require a remap! That’s one of the reasons I’ve not gone that far as I don’t believe the sports cat and backbox alone do enough to really cause any problems with running lean.

That’s what I’ve been lead to believe, but I may be wrong…

“Closed Loop” is when the Lambda is reading the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) and the ECU is making fuelling changes to the map on the fly. “Open Loop” is when the Lambda is taken out of the equation and the car is running on the underlying base map set out in the ECU.

Normally cars will run closed loop at small and part throttle openings and loads to give better fuel economy. However at full throttle flat out they will revert to the base map as if the Lambda started to read wrong due to sooting up or over heating, melted pistons will be the result. Plus it is very easy to map wide open throttle, part throttle and transitional throttle mapping is much more difficult.

I have just bought a silenced de cat for mine and I doubt you need a re map as lotus sell them.

Boothy