Lotus Europa

Hey all, slightly off Exige as a thread, but I’ve had a real urge for an older classic and something I can tinker about a bit with for some months.

And think I have come across a good prospect in the shape of a 1972 S2 Europa. It’s a Renault engined car so not what I really wanted as the pull of a lotus twin cam was pretty constant, but taken a view I can try and source one and retro fit so not a major downer past originality or just leave as is and not fuss about it. The car I’ve found is one owner, 20k miles and spent 25 years in storage after the owner past away. It clearly needs some work but it’s 100% complete and original.

I know they look like a squashed bread van, but I like that they are quirky, the grp body removed a whole headache in terms of rust, and road reports in terms of handling are compelling. Any one had one, any thoughts?

You should talk to Chris Beadsmoore, he has a 47 that he’s been rebuilding for about 20years!! He knows lots of people in Europa in circles…

Banks Service Station (Europa Engineering) is the font of all knowledge regarding the classic Europa. Richard Winter is your man.

Are you sure it is a '72 having the Renault engine, IIRC the Twin Cam was available from 71 onward, and the Special from late 72. I owned/restored a 72 twin cam for 10 years back in the 80’s and 90’s and only sold it when i ordered a new Elise in 97. Happy days.

Tim I looked again it’s a 71.

Thanks for feedback I’ll look Richard up. Have to post a picture of your old car. :sunglasses:

I had a 1969 S2. The only issue mine had was with the shimming of the diff/driveshafts. They drive like an old car though, so don’t expect modern compliance. I’d definitely have another.

Kurt

Another Lotus loved then sold. JPS No.87, 1 owner 41k miles

I did 700 miles in the 2.5yrs I had it :cry:

A JPS … Wow, surely the ultimate combo… You really have had some great cars!

Thanks Kurt,

My plans have shifted a little, currently looking at a 73 Europa Special, with the big bore twin cam… But I take you point ref it being a old car, I just like the 70s chic, just for sunny afternoons pottering about with my son for fun.

Big Valve Twin Cam…

:ugeek:

Sorry!! I get detail wrong every time :blush:

Ha ha I know the feeling :smiley: