Loose Alternator Cable Termination

I know MikeT has recetly had exactly the same problem. And the rumour is once the dealer was told they had commented “oh not another one” so this sounds like it might be a known problem.First indication is a flat battery, even though the car is used every day.1st attempt to fix by the AA was to get running with a booster cable, and then told to run for 20-30mins, result a few jouneys latter and she’s flat again.AA come back and conclude a dodgy battery, replaced with a fully charged new unit - result flat again after 5 days use.Final diagnosis is the nut securing the main current carry cable to the alternator is loose. This results in enough arcing to turn the alternator post blue (+400C?) and the nut half eaten through by spark erosion. Obviously the battery does not charge in these circumstances.AA recomend the alternator is replaced, I am now waiting on an inspection from B&C to confirm the alternator needs to be replaced.

One of us has just had this problem at Oulton today - the spade connector snapped clean orf.

Must go out and check mine now…I’ve had all those symptoms…but doesn’t the battery check light in the Stack unit illuminate if the alternator is not charging?

I had the same problem! Although B&C told me they just changed the battery and there was no mention of the alternator. Sounds exactly like my issue though.Ian

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:…but doesn’t the battery check light in the Stack unit illuminate if the alternator is not charging?There is no indication of a problem on the dash. I suppose as the alternator is still generating (probably to many volts) that this is not detected.