Looking for 2006 Exige Engine performance graphs

If anyone has a dyno/rolling road performance data (hp/torque) from a stock 2006 (drive by wire) Exige I would really appreciate obtaining that information in any form. Or if anyone knows of this information posted anywhere that would be of equal use too.

I am also interested in finding the same data for the Exige S (particularly the torque curve).

Cheers, Adam.

Here is a post of my dyno. I have run it on more than one dyno and it is clear that something is amiss. I am trying to figure out what it is and to be sure I would like to get hold of a run taken on a drive-by-wire Exige with a torsen if possible.
[image]http://166.70.25.159/car/exige/dyno.gif[/image]
I have a dyno taken from my 2005 Elise which shows a far greater bump in torque on cam switch-over. We have replaced the cat and checked the exhaust manifold in case there were restrictions there but have found nothing yet. I’d be interested if there are any ideas on where to look next.
– Adam.

I do not know if this could be related but at the moment i have an issue with the throttle opening on my Exige S. According to the after sales service print out i have never been above 70% throttle opening.

Maybe you have a similar problem?

I have not had it on a dyno but it struggles to reach an indicated 240 km/h (its published top speed) With speedo error i would expect to see an indicated 255/260 that would equate to a genuine 240 km/h

Is the flap in the airbox opening?

Are these figures measured at the wheels or back calculated with a coast down curve to the flywheel?

Firstly I am not that technically competant on modern engines
I haven’t checked the inlet side, but I would have thought that a check-engine code would be indicated if that were the case. Can it be checked by pulling a vacuum hose or does it require a vacuum to open it?

I had the throttle checked a while ago, funnily enough the mechanic said it was only opening 70% firstly, but whatever value he was reading was not the correct information. I wonder if that was the case with your readout.

All the values are measured as values at the rear wheels, not calculated back to the engine, then corrected for temp and altitude.

The torque curve is low but the main point is that there is not significant increase on the cam switchover. Lotus so far have just claimed that this is normal If I compare it runs from my Elise last year I am 25hp down @ 6800rpm. Even if I can’t get Lotus to fix it as a warranty issue I would like to find the root cause and get it corrected anyway.

As a performance example:
Our local track can be run several ways, there is an East section and West section. This breaks the front straight into two parts also. The East or West section front straight are both about 500meters. Using the whole track, the front straight is 1100meters long. My top speed at the end of the straight is about 100mph on the East or West and a measly 110mph if I am on the full track!

So any help is appreciated. I will take a look at the intake components, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers, Adam.

There’s no fault code for the air flap, only MAF / Baro sensor faults.

Your curve doesn’t look too bad, have a look here and see the variations…

http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dynoplot/id%3D210_118%26sort%3Drec%26but_sea%3Dqs%26sea_simple%3Dexige/index.htm

Thanks Bob, that was exatly what I was looking for. It seems a great idea to have a place like that to compare data. Not sure about the “not looking too bad” though.Your torque curve is correct with pear torque at 6700-6800 rpm mine is at 7500 which is definitely not right. That, and of course, your torque line meanders around the 120 ft/lb line and mine is around the 100 ft/lb mark. Of course there are differences in dynos but the shape should be correct. Here is a range of dynos runs on the same dyno of my Elise from last year, as you can see the shape is the same as yours.
Cheers Bob, I’ll take alook at the intake side this weekend.
[image]http://166.70.25.159/car/111/pictures/torque.gif[/image]

so you have 158bhp at the wheels. If the engine makes 189bhp at the crank, that seems about right doesnt it??

FWIW my bog stock 2005 Exige “Yoda” non fly by wire made 156.6 BHP at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics rolling road.

Allan

I do not know if this could be related but at the moment i have an issue with the throttle opening on my Exige S. According to the after sales service print out i have never been above 70% throttle opening.

That use to be a problem with the S1 when the throttle cable wasn’t adjusted properly.

Hold doen the throttle pedal and get somebody to see if there’s any remaining movement at the engine end (this of course assumes you’re not DBW). Doesn’t need the engine to be on.

I have not had it on a dyno but it struggles to reach an indicated 240 km/h (its published top speed) With speedo error i would expect to see an indicated 255/260 that would equate to a genuine 240 km/h

Lotus not meeting claimed performance figures, surely not! TADTS

Compared to my GPS the Stack speedo is quite accurate.

Ian

Doesn’t need the engine to be on.

I would have thought it definitely doesn’t want the engine to be on

So it looks like I still need to clarify this. I am not really looking at peak power output, but you should notice that the peak power is later than you will see from a standard engine. If you look at the torque curve though, you will notice a large drop in torque, particularly between 6500 and 7500 rpm. Peak torque no matter how better or worse this particular engines performance is, should be around where lotus claims it to be. You can chaeck this with any number of 2ZZ graphs. Besides I would not think that a 20% reduction in torque at any point in the usable rev band could possibly be considered a standard deviation from engine production.
I know this is not a powerful car, I owned an Elise, which I should have kept because at least the Elise would be able to pass Spec Miatas in the straights, which this Exige cannot.

The max deviation from the certified performance figures and the engines in production is ±3% on peak power and ±5% peak torque.

Thanks Bob. I received a reflash from Lotus which also changed the cam changeover to around 5600rpm. Dyno’ed it on Saturday, the result was a loss of 1hp and 1 ft/lb! But the torque before and after the crossover is now in the mid 80 ft/lbs
I have found someone else over here with a similar torque graph. I’ll follow up with the dealership later this week…

Sorry to hear of your problems, but I’m interesting in this reflash including a change to the cam switch point. What’s the story with that?

It was a “gift” from LCUSA for screwing up my Exige order. The only option that had been correct at delivery was the paint colour