Look What's Replaced the CSL!

Stay with me on this. Remember, I come from the dark side…

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3500.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3501.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3502.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3503.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3506.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3507.jpg[/image]

Early impressions - car is wonderfully quick, especially once the 'charger really kicks in; pedal position for heel and toe is excellent - miles better than the M Coupe and CSL, (although not quite as good as the 320 E30); getting used to the unusual noises in the cabin, the alu tub and it’s battle with the stones makes a hell of a row and took some getting used to, along with the rattles and very loud engine in my lugoles especially at full chat! Early niggle is a reluctance to change down from 4th to 3rd in anger, I think more throttle blip would help, but h&t will need perfecting further I guess.

It certainly feels like the light car it is, at 930kg it’s considerably lighter than the CSL and handling at the limit is surprisingly intuitive - minor corrections come without thinking. Road work is hard work, the feedback through the wheel is tremendous, but after the usual winter salt trashing the roads, this car seems to find every pot hole and boy do you know it!

Great fun, will be spectacular on track and despite howls of disapproval notably BMW stalwarts, this is exactly what I wanted to replace the CSL.

Happy days - as a Lotus virgin, this place will be a second home from now on, cheers in advance!

Great stuff Giles

When are you coming “Oop North” to let us have a looksie at ya mota?

Giles
Looks fantastic. Look forward to seeing you again, it’s been a long time.
John

That�s the Alexander David car right? Gorgeous looking car , although I must say the interior’s a bit, urm, red for my liking .

That said, it looks absolutely pristine, congrats !

David

PS. Would it be terribly rude to ask how much you paid, I mean I know they had it up around �35k, but it�s been for sale for a while, and I was just wondering if you managed to get it down a bit…

PS. Would it be terribly rude to ask how much you paid, I mean I know they had it up around �35k, but it�s been for sale for a while, and I was just wondering if you managed to get it down a bit…

Hi David.

I got the car for �35k, but this included 12 months road tax and 12 months AA warranty (�5k cover). To be honest I’m really not the world’s best negotiator, I can’t be arsed! If it ticks the boxes and feels right then I’m a bit of a sucker for drooling and paying the dosh

In seriousness though, at �9k cheaper than new, with only 1300 on the clock and totally mint it seemed to me like a decent deal. Especially compared to another Cup Sport car at my local dealers, which, with 13000 on the clock, looking a little tired and an asking price of �38k still remains unsold.

I’m totally chuffed though and I’ll be completely honest, haven’t felt as excited about a car since I bought my first ‘proper’ sports car, a 2.8 Z3 7 years ago and since then I’ve owned an E39 M5, two Z3Ms a CSL and a Z4M Coupe…

Car looks great

Nice dog as well, i miss mine. Is he there to look after the Exige

Nice dog as well, i miss mine. Is he there to look after the Exige

Yes, him and the other two

[image]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/Gyrock/3197.jpg[/image]

I’ve owned an E39 M5, two Z3Ms a CSL and a Z4M Coupe…

If by Z3M you meant the Coupe (breadvan) then that is becoming a fmailar route (both me and MarkA came that way).

How’s the Z4MCoupe - noticed it lurking in the background there?

I’ve owned an E39 M5, two Z3Ms a CSL and a Z4M Coupe…

If by Z3M you meant the Coupe (breadvan) then that is becoming a fmailar route (both me and MarkA came that way).

How’s the Z4MCoupe - noticed it lurking in the background there?

No, they were actually M Roadsters (S50 then S54).

Regarding the Z4MC,I think it’s no exaggeration to suggest that the this car may be the best M-car to leave Munich in recent years. It’s a shame some people may not bother to drive one to realise this. Three people who have driven my CSL and also been passengers in my Z4MC have all commented that they have a sense that the Coupe is a quicker car. I tend to agree although I haven’t taken the Coupe on track yet.

The Coupe is as raw in feel and noise as the CSL, but I find it more ‘nimble’ and frankly much more fun to drive.

It’s a total cracker right from the box and unlike the CSL doesn’t carry the baggage of having the status of ‘track car’, which I think can be a double edged sword.

Also, great as the CSL is in the looks department, for me the Coupe makes the latter seem rather ordinary…

Flippin ekk, I thought I was on zroadster.net for a second there!!!

Sorry - but he did ask!

Sorry - but he did ask!

…and thanks for your response I for one was interested

If I had the money/space and no kid I would have one without a doubt (in addition to the Exige naturally),…I loved that S54 engine in my breadvan.

Did they give any explanation for the Elise embossed seats? I was nogotiating with them at one point but they could not offer me any explanation. Nice car have fun.

Did they give any explanation for the Elise embossed seats? I was nogotiating with them at one point but they could not offer me any explanation. Nice car have fun.

No idea. It wasn’t something I really thought much about be honest. The car itself is mint, I think someone bought it with high hopes of doing stuff but never got round to completing their ‘project’ whatever that was. The seats are actually both different too, but like I say everything is in correct working order and looking like it’s come straight from the factory. If anything I’m a little loath to push her too hard just yet (although I have) because she’s been barely driven in the past 14 months and probably never in anger. (First service done at 890 though).

these cars were owned by a couple of brothers who were doctors.

1 was Red the other Black but they sold them straight away, the red one did not even have 1000 miles on it.

that dealer brought them both for a steel as they did not sell on Piston heads and they both wanted very quick sales.

Looks a very nice car though bar that steering wheel :slight_smile:

Oddly enough, I saw a “breadvan”, & a Z4M Coupe, both very shiny in black, within 10 mins of each other today on the M61. I was in my Pug 107, but I let them get past

Personally, on looks alone, I prefer the breadvan. As I posted some years ago, I considered buying one before deciding on the Exige

Lovely car that!

I also really like the Breadvan BMW

enjoy that…they are great fun. Trackdays at all?

enjoy that…they are great fun. Trackdays at all?

Yes, the Exige Cadwell day in June, another day at Cadwell in May, Croft in July, then 3 days driver training at The Ring in August.