Look at this !!!

Nice,
Not sure of the colour though.

Could you run that in Class C?

Could you run that in Class C?

Nope!

It would struggle to run in anything that requires motion - they were total pants as race cars, I’m afraid. Also, & I know this is subjective, but they’re not particularly goodlooking either (unlike the 300RR currently on sale).

I hesitate to disagree, but I remember seeing them at Donington ( I think) and they were a great spectacle – oh, ok, so maybe they were’nt world-beaters but I love 'em.

#2 is at a dealer in holland

[image]http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo219/exiges1/gt3_elise.jpg[/image]

clearly not driving in Holland at that moment, like the colours though

and still find it a awesome piece of kit, even if not drivable

Nope!

It would struggle to run in anything that requires motion - they were total pants as race cars, I’m afraid.

That’s a bit pants Rob me old mate. The froggies changed the rules at Le Mans (again) meaning the Elise GT1 in its original intended form was redundant (engine) before it could compete. the alternative proved to be uncompetitive

I hesitate to disagree, but I remember seeing them at Donington ( I think) and they were a great spectacle – oh, ok, so maybe they were’nt world-beaters but I love 'em.

Can’t comment on the “spectacle” (eyes of the beholder, & all that, but at the time the McLarens & Porkers were on the same grids), but for 0.5�M GT1 cars, they were embarassingly useless against the opposition in the races they entered - did they even finish a race? There was one on show at the 2004 Classic Le Mans gathering at St Santurin, which was supposed to join in the parade to the city centre - it didn’t even get onto the startline b ecause it wasn’t running properly.

Given an inexhaustible pot of dosh to throw at it, it may be competitive & reliable, but if I were spending �300K, I’d avoid it like the plague

Of course, all this talk is completely hypothetical for most of us, but there’s no harm in having a friendly exchange of views, with no offence being meant or taken .

It was not all bad in FIA GT Champ 1997:

"The third race of the season in Helsinki was a shorter race, featuring a smaller field. Only three Elise GT1s were entered, but GBF was able to succeed in taking 5th place, earning them points in the championship. The other two Elise GT1s also finished the race . . "

It was not all bad in FIA GT Champ 1997:

"The third race of the season in Helsinki was a shorter race, featuring a smaller field. Only three Elise GT1s were entered, but GBF was able to succeed in taking 5th place, earning them points in the championship. The other two Elise GT1s also finished the race . . "

Yeah, very impressive, in the context of the championship - not! Sorry, but they were pants then, & still are Wish it wasn’t the case for Lotus, but the simple facts speak for themselves.

http://www.fiagt.com/points.php?season=1997&class=GT&type=team&event=1

That’s a bit pants Rob me old mate. The froggies changed the rules at Le Mans (again) meaning the Elise GT1 in its original intended form was redundant (engine) before it could compete. the alternative proved to be uncompetitive

Le Mans was one race (important as it may be, in the context of GT races), but the car just was/is not up to running against its contemporary opposition - fact.

Very brave of Lotus to have a go, & all credit to them for that, but the GT1 just didn’t work out then, & I can’t see it ever doing so in the racing arena - but they are nice show cars for the dreamers to drool over though

OK. They were designed for competition and weren’t very effective but I still love them. I think they look amazing, a really exciting development of the Elise/Exige shape.

If I squint really hard, I CAN see an Elise there!!

If I squint really hard, I CAN see an Elise there!!

he’s right me too!

OK. They were designed for competition and weren’t very effective but I still love them. I think they look amazing, a really exciting development of the Elise/Exige shape.

Nowt wrong with having a personal viewpoint, Steve, & expressing it - much better than being an indecisive wimp, like so many peeps on car forums these days

Nowt wrong with having a personal viewpoint, Steve, & expressing it - much better than being an indecisive wimp, like so many peeps on car forums these days

Rob’s old & doesn’t like change

Rob’s old & doesn’t like change

Sorry, Phil, I’m probably being thick, but I don’t understand which “change” I’m supposed not to be keen on

PS I am indeed very old [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/bill_oddie1.gif[/image]