Little bit of advise

Hi there, whenw ashing my wheels I noitced a cable and connecter that where hanging close to the wheel so once i had finished i took the wheel off to have a look. From the pics can any one tell me what it is, I have tried to tape it back away from the wheel to keep it out the way, but wondered what it is?

Also I have green stuff pads as you can see, I can’t work out is there is any pad life left as it is green? if you get me do these pads look shagged?
[image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/Nath-Exige/SUC50176.jpg[/image]
[image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/Nath-Exige/SUC50177.jpg[/image]
Thanks for any help

No idea about the connector/cable.
The pads seem to have plenty of life left.

Nath,
Is it possible to see where the cable is running to/from

Tim.

Don’t realy know what the cable is
It could be part of the ABS if you have a S2 Exige

Brake pad’s look like they have a good 1/4 inch or more
of material left on them.

The friction material is bonded to the Green backing plate
just check the distance from the disk to the green backing plate to get the approx amount of friction material left

Cheers

Thanks for advise on brakes, that eases my mind. here is another photo of where it is coming from, didn’t know wether it was somthing to do with speedo etc. S1 so no ABS
[image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/Nath-Exige/SUC50179.jpg[/image]

Its the cable / connector for the ECU wheel speed sensor

Its the cable / connector for the ECU wheel speed sensor

Isn’t that the nearside rear? In which case its the wheel speed sensor that feeds the Stack speedo.

That was my initial thought, but after watching the 1st picture in detail, I realised that this is the right hand rear corner. So it couldn�t be the speed sensor cable.
But, in the last pic it is obvious that it is for the speed sensor.
Or I might be wrong�

Nath

You have a connector like that on both sides at the rear… one drives the speedo (nearside) the other feeds wheel speed to the ECU (offside) as already mentioned by everyone above.

The brake pads look like they are brand new and there is loads and loads of friction material on them. Its useful to remember that the INNER pad at the rear wears faster, but with the amount of friction material i can see in your pic, i doubt you have any issues.

I didn�t know about this. I thought it was the same system as the Elise S1, where there is just one sensor at the left hand wheel for the ECU, as the Stack gets the RPM info from the ECU.

Nath

You have a connector like that on both sides at the rear… one drives the speedo (nearside) the other feeds wheel speed to the ECU (offside) as already mentioned by everyone above.

The brake pads look like they are brand new and there is loads and loads of friction material on them. Its useful to remember that the INNER pad at the rear wears faster, but with the amount of friction material i can see in your pic, i doubt you have any issues.

Exiges have a speed sensor on each rear wheel. The RH one is connected to the ECU but it’s not used. Maybe it was put there for traction control but it never got implemented.

As the pads are green stuff I suggest you throw them away now and don’t worry about how much life is left in them. Fit a set of Pagid’s all round.

Bernard

Exiges have a speed sensor on each rear wheel. The RH one is connected to the ECU but it’s not used. Maybe it was put there for tration control but it never got implemented.

Bernard

Bernard

It is used to cut fuel on the overun. Originally, most of us disconnected it, but after the “190 ECU Misfire Re-map” it had to be re-connected. Obviously, it was never needed with an Emerald ECU.

Are you sure ? That’s normally controlled by the throttle pot and engine RPM signals. But I guess they could they could use a speed sensor but it seems an expensive way of going about it.

Bernard

…but it seems an expensive way of going about it.

Bernard

They had to justify the price hike over an Elise somehow

Don’t forget that the Exige ECU was originally from the Esprit, hence, presumably the overrun sensor?

…but it seems an expensive way of going about it.

Bernard

They had to justify the price hike over an Elise somehow

Don’t forget that the Exige ECU was originally from the Esprit, hence, presumably the overrun sensor?

Yeah, I guess that could be the answer.

See you round sometime

Bernard

Hi, thanks for your advise lads, now i know what it is and i can relax. With regard to the pads, they are brand new on the front and now it appears they are nearly new on the back so might aswell get the best out of them! I know padgid are the best and will get these when the green stuff are knackered! thanks

I know padgid are the best and will get these when the green stuff are knackered! thanks

Read something interesting on another site that basically said if you are swapping from onbe make to another like this and you don’t feel its a great improvement then it may be down to the fact that the old pads have effectively layered the disks with the original pad material. It recommended a fine “sanding” of the disks before fitting the new pads - this was to ensure that it was the new pad material that then layered the disks and you got the optimum from the new pad material.

I don’t know if its true, but it made sense to me…

Sounds like a fair point steve, i have the alloybelled disks so them fiited with the pagid pad should give me great performance