Lightened Flywheel ?

From what I gather, lightening the flywheel will make the engine more responsive (better acceleration), but idle a bit rougher and not be as smooth (is this right?)Anyone had this done or contemplated it ?

It’s something I was thinking about doing, but heard the VHPD is supposed to come with a lightened flywheel as standard.

Lightened Flywheels are a great modification if there is excess weight in the flywheel to begin with. In my mini tuning days you could remove loads of weight from the bottom end, and flywheel. This of course gave the engine great pickup, but with the weight off the flywheels I was using there was a downside. This was the flywheel had to be removed every three thousand miles, and re-lapped to the crank. If this was not done there was a possible that the flywheel would weld itself to the crank. This happened because the lightened flywheel would fret on the crank causing enough heat to cause the weld. If this happened (and it did to a mate) then you have to bin the bottom end (with the work on my engine, this would set you back about 2K excluding an exchange unit). All I am trying to say is lightened flywheels are ok providing you don�t go too far, or unless you take your own engine out a lot!PS some news on H15 EXGI finally chosen the specLaser Blue (New Elise Colour)Carbon Air Box (only the cheep one � not the race item)ac (sorry but I don�t got flat out all the time, and you can always switch it off for the few track days)340R seatsRadio fitting kitRemovable wheel (no I am not a fat b**tard � just trying to be a bit flash)April is still proposed date � but I am sure the dealer will be able to spoil that!

Top info.Keep us posted about your new mota.

When I was asking why aircon wasn’t an option, I was told “well at least you can take off the belt until summer if you don’t want to lose the power (estimated to reduce BHP by 10%)”.Might be tempted to try it, if I had aircon [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

whats this about a cheap carbon airbox and not the race one?

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:whats this about a cheap carbon airbox and not the race one?Methinks someone here has the carbon look box ( David ? ).

I’ve not heard anything other than the overpriced standard carbon airbox.Perhaps it’s a new item ?(they look horrid anyway [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image] )

I called it a cheap Carbon Air Box because the 500 quid item in the accessories brochure is described as Race and Track Only, where as the one I have gone for is a Carbon version of the standard item, at only 150 quid. Chris.

Good move… Carbon airboxes rule!!! You get black shiny airboxes on any Citroen saxo 1.1 or Rover metros, etc…

How many people did I upset with that last post… sorry! The standard airboxes look great!honest.

right first time i think…lol…I only know of one carbon airbox and its the same as int he brochure…cannot be legally sold for road as its not been fitted to the vehicle when tested…Rod whats this about carbon look…it is CARBON…cheeky bastard…:slight_smile:…anyway the standard ones are made from recycled actionman parts

fight fight * fight !Why spend �400 on making your airbox look mottled ? Sheesh… more money than sense some people.That �400 would be better put towards magnesium alloys !TT Conversion + Mag alloys … drool

jealously will get you nowhere!!!For the 400 grammes I save means that I can have a curry tonight without worries of power to weight losses!Tim

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:…Rod whats this about carbon look…it is CARBON…cheeky bastard…:slight_smile:…anyway the standard ones are made from recycled actionman partsActionman parts are more expensive and probably more durable :wink:

david - carbon is THE material of the future - you are such a luddite…if you are going to insist on keeping an ugly engine bay then you really should keep a blanket over the hatch when you park.Rod - I understand that for the really chic there’s a plastic one made from barbie offcuts

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:david - carbon is THE material of the future - you are such a luddite…if you are going to insist on keeping an ugly engine bay then you really should keep a blanket over the hatch when you park.Ahh… but they’ll throw away your “just for looks” carbon airbox if you go for the TT upgrade… so why waste your money [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]