Light weight lug nuts

http://forum.nyloc.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20897

Hi guys the link above is to the pics

Bought some lug nuts they seem a little long to me wanted to grab opinions, does anyone else run similar

I can’t see the link… but I will guess that they are aluminum nuts.

From an engineering point of view, aluminum is generally 50% weaker than steel, so they have to be 50% longer than the steel counterparts. Since steel is almost 100% heavier, you still win.

To get full strength of steel-to-steel, the nuts have to be the same length as the diameter of the bolt. So, an M12-1.5 stud requires a nut that is 12mm tall (long). To check that, 12 / 1.5 = 8 revolutions of the nut. An aluminum nut would have to be 50% longer, or 18mm tall and engage for a full 12 turns to have equal strength.

The down side is that any weight you have saved in the nut is lost in the extra length of the stud that is required… And the other down side is that aluminum (nut) when tightened to aluminum (wheel) will gal. And the third down side of aluminum nuts is the galvanic reaction to dissimilar metals (aluminum to steel)…

Use Titanium… same size and strength of intermediate alloy steels yet only 60% of the weight… and will never rust or corrode…

Bet the titanium is 6x the price though :frowning:

You get what you pay for… you pay $h!t, you get $h!t…

Shite tbh