lap timing wrist watch

Looking for a wrist watch that is also a lap timer with memory…saves having to carry a separate stop watch.

Dont want a Pesky style megga bucks job
Must have readable size digits for my weak eyes…
Any recommendations?? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
Of course would not be using this for in car lap timing :unamused:

A lot are using circuit lap timer apps, much more detailed and cheaper :wink: ,saying that, some are free

Harrys lap timer is very good on the iPhone. I friend uses it on his race car.

Remember that timing is banned on track days. I would really like to understand what the ban really means. I use a go pro so I can work out my lap times when I get home. Is that timing? Some TDOs rent video equipment which records detailed track times, are they banned? Is running Harrys lap timer ok if you do not have it in sight when driving ok?

I can’t be bothered looking at my times any more, never fast enough, just enjoy.

I run RaceChrono this works really well on Android and is free.

If you want the best out of these apps your best getting an external 10mhz GPS unit and even a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor to record temps and rpm etc. But for initial test the app and internal GPS will do fine.

You can then upload to the web From Harry’s or RaceChrono to a hosting website and compare with friends to see where they gained speed. Makes TDs fun even after completed :slight_smile:

`Thanks for replies …um think I am beginning to agree with withnatt . maybe just use my Go Pro type camera and review when back at home. Believe it or not I do not have an I phone…silly old fart.

Spa Summer Classics 2013 Ardennes Challenge. On board car 48 Crossle 9s - YouTube

If you want to get even semi serious about improving your driving and times, it is worth looking at a proper datalogger type thing… especially if you can get some data for comparison.

A few years ago, I did a session with Mike Wilds at Oulton Park… after he sat in with me, he kindly took my car out for a few laps on his own, just so I could get some data (I had a DL1 in the car datalogging) - the comparison I could then do back at home was very interesting and showed me a bunch of places I could improve.

Whilst it’s good to know you were faster on this lap than that lap, it’s better to know why you were faster…

Trackdays are for fun, not lap times.

Compare your pace to others on the day subjectively - timing is for test days.

A disagree slightly - trackdays are for fun and improving your driving - otherwise why get tuition?

I agree comparing pace to others is hugely subjective, but if you are driving the same car as that person in the same conditions on the day and doing analysis after the event, I don’t see that can be considered ‘timing’ or ‘racing’ or doing anything that is going against the trackday rules.

It’s certainly far less dangerous than trying to ‘hang on’ to the driver who just came past you because the red mist comes down… which happens all the time with people on trackdays.

I totally agree improving your driving, that can only be a good thing. If tuition can make you safer AND faster then i’m all for it.

Car came with a race Technology system but it’s far beyond my comprehension and previous owner could not get it to work. (Possibly because the wires had come adrift)

I am interested in comparing my lap times with My racing days and compare 260 BHP per ton Exige with my 400 BHP per ton racer. Might be obvious but I’m happier in the Exige so might be prorata a bit quicker.
The Go Pro route plus Mike Wilds seems good advice.
As a matter of interest what are lap times for a 260. At Brands and Snetterton? (Unmodded race car of course)
Have fun.

You would certainly learn something from watching a pro driver with a GoPro, but not sure you would have the raw data that a datalogger comparison would give you.

I was able to overlay Mike’s Lap and my lap together and see the differences (I was actually faster over the entire Lap, but there were quite large chunks of time that he was saving where I was comparatively slow)… I think it would have been very hard to see this purely with video footage.

Yours is most probably the same as mine (DL1 from Race Technology) - I’d say first port of call would be to get it working and go from there… there are bound to be other Exige owners that have data for you to compare - certainly the LOT racers will.

Just put a Race Tech logger in mine