knob off?

half way through oil temp and pressure gauge installation and am stuck at the routing of the cables. I need to remove the handbrake and gearshift trim and therefore the gearknob too, to access the safe and tidy routing for the cables.

so how does the knob come off? is it a one way job? as my investegatory unwinding hasn’t shed and light on the situation…and i don’t see a grub screw, and i don’t want to booger anything if neccessary… DOH!

Unscrew it.

And it’s a bastid.

Use an oil filter strap thingy. (technical term)

If you want to undo the knob go ahead, unscrew it (very hard), but you can pass the cables through the same hole where the wire harness passes, you’ll just slide the new wires besides the existing ones inside the big rubber grommet.

No need to undo ANY of the handbrake, knob assembly.

thanks chaps.

uldis, i will check that out later tonight and see if thats an option. from memory all the cables are neatly tie wrapped to the handbrake carrier bracket and this is why i was planning to do the same. essential with moving parts in close proximity.

Not so close, the thing that moves is just below the lever, but after that it’s just to (sheated) cables.
You can even unbolt the gear lever assembly without taking off the knob (just to move it sightly and see below)

You can leave the cables on the side as well just under the plastic cover.

roger that uldis,
all looking good now, following other cables.just needed to get my spine to bend the other way to work in this area…

now working on a design for a nice pod or trim part to carry the gauges. considering the pros and cons of position and form. going to paint it with nextel as factory parts so it all fits to the lotus design… to the workshop.

www.eliseparts.com

They have pod gauges.

I have been looking around for nome nice ones, and haven’t found them.
Don’t like the style of those there.
Think I’m going to do a simple foam one, with a cutout for the gauge and out it below the vent controls, velcroed to the aluminum.

I have been looking around for nome nice ones, and haven’t found them.
Don’t like the style of those there.
Think I’m going to do a simple foam one, with a cutout for the gauge and out it below the vent controls, velcroed to the aluminum.

i am planning to maybe vac form the housing, same as the heater surround and in fact all trim parts in the car, low cost and light weight- lotus design philosophie. alternatively a nice thin composite laminate. i will do some sketches of my ideas and post them, see what you guys think.

for fixing i have sourced some great 3M dual lock fixings. these are like velcro but give a positive fixing position, and bloody strong, just to make sure your gauges don’t fall down when you land at the flugplatz whilst winging around the n-ring… yeah right.

Very interesting, keep us posted on the developments, if you manage to make a decent pod I’d like one.