K Series Engine - World's best 4 - The Sequel

It’s coming up to 9 months now since Simons first post and I was wondering where these monster K’s had got to.

Anybody got one or seen any results ?

Note this post is not meant to wind anybody up, I am just curious because a lot of time has past but not much seems to have happened.

Bernard

Mine is wonderfu! Erm… who else did you want to reply?

I know there’s another 2 either going about or just about to be started, but they’re no internet guys, so would never post.

But I know Simon is working on a couple of real bests, and will only let know when the RR figures are out.

Hi Uldis

I just thought that in the intervening months somebody on here would have had an engine done, or would know of one done by Simon.

I know I’ve not heard of one.

Bernard

Not taking sides here, but I understood Simon wasn’t generally doing the engines. His point was more how to do them. It’s not his day job.

Interested in the outcome though.

Ian

a couple of real bests, and

erm… I meant beasts

And you’re right Ian.
His passion hasn’t stopped, and there’s going to be a book coming out soon.

I know a couple of names, but I promised not to tell.
But I’ll say that I’m impressed that these two guys, having access to the best of the best, chose him to build his private car engines

These will be on the book. But I would expect these engines to be running in no less than 6 months.

having access to the best of the best

Err, don’t you mean “beast of the beast”?

Or… the best of the beast? the breast of the beast? the best of the breast?

… But I would expect these engines to be running in no less than 6 months.

So, at some point, getting on for 18 months after his original piece saying that the K was the best engine in the world, we may or may not see an engine that makes some decent horsepower ?

Hmmmmm, makes you think eh ?

Bernard

Note this post is not meant to wind anybody up…

No?

errr…

Guys - this is where it makes sense to say that as far as I can see, Simon’s approach is all about reliability, and from the discussions I have had with him, and my reading of the situation, the engines will be more sturdy in use than some others have turned out to be, as witnessed hereon…

As to outright power - I have not seen any stormers at all - Uldis’ car will probably be faster than mine when he is driving it and I am driving mine, but if he had my car, and I his, I would be extremely lapped !!!

My torque and power curves are a world apart (and above)…

So is it all about power (and sod the reliability) or about longevity, or about power and longevity (and let the audis go past on the straight!)

Nigel Marsden, recently posted the Rolling Road results for his Caterham 7, Scholar 1.9 K Series on se7ens.net not an Exige but definately looks like a qualifies as Stonking K Series. Nigel quotes “The repeatable figure was 244bhp @ 7900rpm and 178lbft @ 5686rpm.”

Always easier to get power from a K in a Caterham.

Not heard Nigels name for a while, met him a few times over at Dave A’s place years ago.

Yeah I’ve heard there have a few good results coming out in the last week or so. I think the 1.9 is the way to go rather than the 2.0, a stronger engine and a lot cheaper. Wonder how much it cost ? Not cheap I suspect.

Bernard

Opps, wrong name should have been Nigel Marston, Caterham 7 v7slr.

Opps, wrong name should have been Nigel Marston, Caterham 7 v7slr.

No problem, I read it as Marston anyway.

Bernard

Well the head work didnt cost anything Bernard, it was one of my freebies…

Dave

Hi Dave - how you doing ??

I’ve got one of those stonking K motors, but wait, Bernard built it! 1st track day this weekend. HOOOOHaaaa

I’ve got one of those stonking K motors, but wait, Bernard built it! 1st track day this weekend. HOOOOHaaaa

Hi Mark. Glad to hear she’s rolling again for this season. Guess frrrrrrrozen wastelands round Chicago must have melted then ?

CYA Bernard