Just refused the delivery of my new Exige

Got a call from the dealer this morning. My car was ready for factory delivery, but there was a small problem…
Lotus forgot to install the T45 Main Hoop theat comes with the sportspack.
The gave me 2 options:
Get a refund for the cost of the missing Hoop (the standard one was used) or get Lotus to produce a new car.

Well I was offered a 300 quid refund, which I polity refused.

New building date is week 11 (around march 15). Wonder what they will be doing with the refused car? (LHD! custom produced)

Nico

But sorry to ask, maybe it’s been mentioned before but… what’s the main hoop?is that the rollcage?

Yep. That’s the roll bar.The T45 bar is made of stronger steel then the standard one. Plus it has the mounting point for the diagonal bar running toward the passengers footwell, in order to create a sort of roll cage.

Not thought of taking the opportunity to go for a 220S then?

Not thought of taking the opportunity to go for a 220S then?

Yep. Discussed that with the dealer. But a plusprice of allmost 9,000 Euro’s for a 220hp sc + colorcoding I don’t like… For 10.000 one can get the Bemani (263hp) or a KOMO-tec (255hp).

That’s a very persuasive argument - with the rollhoop are you planning to compete in some form of motorsport? Wouldn’t the Exige S get you into a production class?

I am curious, how did you know it was not the T45 bar? Is there some way to tell? My ordered Exige (ordered with the sports pack) showed up with none of it! The dealer is putting on the missing pieces and I am waiting to find out how they are going to install the harness bar!
Thanks.

In Germany, which has 16% mwst (VAT) the price difference is 6210.00 Euros between std Exige and exige S.

The T45 bar has an “eye” (very difficult to notice with the bodywork on) in the middle for the installation of the diagonal rollcage bar. This bar runs from the center of the rollbar towards the passengers footwell.

The error was discoverd in Hethel, so before the car was shipped to the Netherlands. I guess my importer has an inspectionteam walking around overthere.

If you’re dealer is doing the “repair”, he doing a hell of a job. Lotus themselves rather build a new car than trying to correct the error. It means dismanteling the car and perhaps loosen so glued parts.

How is he planning to install the crossbar (usefull for the 4 point harness)?

Nico

In Germany, which has 16% mwst (VAT) the price difference is 6210.00 Euros between std Exige and exige S.

Besides the 19% tax we also pay luxery tax on the car. This means that on the recommended salesprice by lotus (excluding taxes) we pay around 60,5% tax.

Nico

I am still trying to figure out what is needed for the harness bar. It may be that the US and Euro Exiges versions of the Track Pack are different. The sport pack in the US does not have a cross brace from the rollbar to the passenger footwell, but it IS supposed to have the harness bar. Without ripping out the reat plastic liner and speakers it is difficult to tell if the harness bar bolts in to the roll hoop or whether it was welded in during the chassis construction.

I am still trying to figure out what is needed for the harness bar. It may be that the US and Euro Exiges versions of the Track Pack are different. The sport pack in the US does not have a cross brace from the rollbar to the passenger footwell, but it IS supposed to have the harness bar. Without ripping out the reat plastic liner and speakers it is difficult to tell if the harness bar bolts in to the roll hoop or whether it was welded in during the chassis construction.

That’s incorrect. The US Sports Pack is only available as an option on the Elise and has never had the harness bar listed. The US Exige comes default with Sport Pack.

Track Pack is available on either model and was first mentioned in the Exige press release as having the harness bar (the current flyers don’t mention it).

Neither option appears to include the Petty bar arrangement although Lotus’s first press to dealers clearly stated Track Pack would.

The harness bar shown at NA car shows used the shoulder belts’ mounting points.

The UK and US options share some nomenclature but are different.

Oops yes I meant to keep saying Track Pack. I am hoping that the harness bar is a bolt in, then they will be able to install it uner warranty.
And yes, I know the US details do not mention the harness bar, however other deliveries of the Exige with the “track pack” have a harness bar and a different rear panel beind the seats.
I realize they are different, as I’ll bet the Euro version doesn’t have airbags

Nope

Supposedly not terribly difficult to remove though.