I've added speed holes !

Anyone remember that Simpsons episode where Homer takes a pick-axe to his car to add speed holes ?Anywho, while on the track over the weekend my rear clam got very hot (worryingly so)… so rather than have it melt (it’s happened to some Elise owners) I figured I’d give the air in the engine bay a sporting chance of leaving… by drilling two holes in the clam… (Click to enlarge the photo) [image]http://www.exiges.com/gallery/speedholea.jpg[/image] Result ? The clam is now far cooler at the end of a session out on the track.At the same event, I fitted EliseParts silenced cat by-pass pipe… which reduced my dB output by a good 5-10dB. Highly recommended. The only downside is that the sound ends up inside the car rather than outside ![This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 08 May 2002).]

quote:Originally posted by Admin5:Anyone remember that Simpsons episode where Homer takes a pick-axe to his car to add speed holes ?Anywho, while on the track over the weekend my rear clam got very hot (worryingly so)… so rather than have it melt (it’s happened to some Elise owners) I figured I’d give the air in the engine bay a sporting chance of leaving… by drilling two holes in the clam… Result ? The clam is now far cooler at the end of a session out on the track.At the same event, I fitted EliseParts silenced cat by-pass pipe… which reduced my dB output by a good 5-10dB. Highly recommended. The only downside is that the sound ends up inside the car rather than outside ![This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 08 May 2002).]Did you have all that done when I saw you at Donnington? (I dont remember the holes). Sounds like a good idea reducing the db, 5db less and we would be able to do more variety of tracks (eg Brands Hatch). I’ll buy you earplugs for your B-day!PS thanks again for the training sess at donnington. Copying Marks technique has always landed me in a spin or near spin, so its nice to know how to do a different technique Disclaimer - not saying your technique is at all bad Mark, I just can’t get on with trail braking![This message has been edited by Christine (edited 08 May 2002).]

I have holes cut into the rear clam behind the grills where the fog light and reverse lights are.Pat Thomas’s race car has a mesh instead of solid clam behind where the number plate goes as well.Cheers

Someone at Cadwell last week had the rear clam opened behind the Reversing light / Fog light - same reason I think!

Yep, I’m planning to open the clam behind the reverse/fog lights, but that’s a bit more involved (ie. undertray off etc)The holes (above) were made hurriedly while in the pits

quote:Originally posted by Admin5:Yep, I’m planning to open the clam behind the reverse/fog lights, but that’s a bit more involved (ie. undertray off etc)The holes (above) were made hurriedly while in the pits …with a pick axe?Brave man!Beats being barbequed though. Seen a couple of picks of chargrilled Elises/340Rs[This message has been edited by BT52 (edited 08 May 2002).]

hehe, no… they were made with a proper hole cutter bit on a drill.As the plate is held on with velcro, I can have a “road plate” which covers the holes and a “track plate” or even no plate.Mucho thankos go to Brian Drought for help with the drilling + velcro

Did this holes also result in a cooler cockpit (Don’t know the name in English, but the place where the driver sits)? Is there mess going in the holes when you drive, I mean when it rains, is the rain pushed in the wholes

COOOOL!Christine & Mark-hi ya Dudes!GO to Brands Hatch - fab little circuit, technical and quick - but they don’t do a db check there - haven’t even got the right equipment! My car is 106 dbs at 4500 rpm and nay probs.Goodwood is the worst - 98db’s on open pit lane or 103 db’s on sessions - f*rt in a bag to loudly or complain about the coffee and they’ll nerf you off. Well it is Sussex, don’t yer know!Hope your cars running well.

Running fine thanks Mike, albeit on the original ECU at present, thanks Russ.Um…you feeling okay?Mark

Same as usual, Mark!Woof, woof Baqueerk!

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:Same as usual, Mark!Woof, woof Baqueerk! Well in that case,how much are you asking for your speed holes?

hey david, now you’ve got the holes, where are you going to find the speed from?/miaowJonnyBookanInsult.com

Just a quicky, is there any problem with removing the engine cover altogether (just for a track day!) so as to enjoy the most amount of cooling you could possibly get.Can’t imagine that the cover offers any rigidity towards the overall car.Only a thought.Phil GT

quote:hey david, now you’ve got the holes, where are you going to find the speed from? Shut it four eyes [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image] Who says you’re so fast behind the wheel anyway… Oh… hang on… never mind. Just shut it [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Phil, You may be able to remove the cover, but i guess it would act like trying to drive the car with a parachute out the back or actually break the clam somewhere…You need the air to glide over the body surface, not get caught in the boot and have nowhere to go…lots of resistance.Phil

Hi Mike !I’m off to Castle Combe tommorow AND getting paid 37p a mile for it :-)They have a 100db noise restriction so I’m not sure if our Exige will get through…hmm, I wonder if bribery works.Christine

quote:Originally posted by Christine:Hi Mike !I wonder if bribery works.ChristineNot at Castle Combe… they are probably the worst noise police in the UK !AndyBookaTrack.com