Intercooler with a hairdryer!

Just seen this on YouTube… RLS Intercooler versus OEM Lotus Exige S intercooler - YouTube

Thoughts? Does this prove the effectiveness of a larger intercooler?

This to me isnt as conclusive as things should be.

All this is proving is that if you put the same volume of hot air in a larger object then its cooler at the measured end. Its not true to life in terms of this is just passive heat dissipation rather than the admittedly limited air cooling from the scoop.

I think it shows things as a generalisation but nothing more fancy than placing a radiator at full chat in your bathroom rather than your living room.

There is zero airflow through the rad, its just acting as a heatsink not an intercooler, I’m not sure why he went to all the effort!

he needs congratulating for proving which one warms up more quickly, not which one sheds heat the best based on an airflow over the core, totally worthless test sadly…

I want the outputs of those hairdryers independently verifying too :mrgreen:

Can’t help feeling it would be less effort just to bolt them onto a car and do some representative testing that way, probing both before and after the core.

I agree, that was a total waste of time. Even if he had put some cooling flow through the cooler it would not have shown anything. You need the exit temperature and the flow rate to get the cooling for the mass flow. To make matters much worse (to test) the efficiency of a cooler varies with temperatures and flow rates.

Exactly, I thought it just showed that the larger IC captured the heat due to being a larger surface area, making it look more efficient.