Induction Kit

I would love to fit an induction kit, but trying to weigh up noise vs performance vs cost. So far I have found Pipercross, Hurricane and ITG recommended, can you guys rate them by the three criteria above? And are they all available to fit the Toyota engine?

regards
Rob

Sadly I’d have said we’re a bit low on 'yota expertise here at the moment (you’d have more chance with a K, Honda or Audi query). I hope you get an answer, but you may have to be a pioneer!

Ian

I have also been thinking about which induction kit to get - my Exige doesn’t arrive for 3 weeks, but I am on the slippery upgrade slope already . I think both ITG and Pipercross make some fairly bold bhp claims (10+ bhp) - not sure how realistic these claims are. I was having a good look in the engine compartment of an Exige in the showroom yesterday and it looks like fitting might be a bit of a pig. Past experience of induction kits with the K series suggests that they are a good way to get a nice rorty induction note under hard acceleration, without all the boomy resonance of some of the louder sports exhausts. So, my current thinking is a Pipercross, with one of the less extreme and more track friendly sports exhausts - Lotus Stage 1 or possibly the Blue Flame. Dealer’s last demo Exige had the Stage 2 exhaust and pipercross which he tells me was ‘abosolutely deafening’ .
Mark

‘Abosolutely’ Dealer can’t spell, obviously!

Hi Rob,

I’ve also been thinking of getting an induction kit for my S2. Three things would prevent me from going down this road;

1. The dealer already told me it, and after market exhausts, could void the engine warranty,
  2. The car is plenty fast as is. And with a stage 1 exhaust after 800 miles is sounding fine,
  3. The 240r supercharge kit wil probably be out by the end of summer, and will be installable under warranty by Lotus.

I’m thinking my first mods will be; stainless brake lines and Mintex 1144 pads. It’s brake feel in the S2 that I have the most problem with.

If you do decide to go with an induction kit it seems that the Hurricane/Reverie with ducting right to the onside pod for cold air would be the way to go.

Keep us informed if you go down this road. We S2 drivers are going to need to lean on eah other a bit for tips as we build up some experience.

-robert

Hi Rob,

I’ve also been thinking of getting an induction kit for my S2. Three things would prevent me from going down this road;

1. The dealer already told me it, and after market exhausts, could void the engine warranty,

This sounds like dealer waffle to me. Plenty of dealers are fitting induction kits to brand new cars - e.g. Murrays in Edinburgh offer the Pipercross, and I think Wilsons are doing the ITG. Can’t see it making any difference to the warranty situation, and in any case, as someone has pointed out before, there is more chance of Alien invasion than a production Yota engine going pop.

Mark

Rob - i fitted all of those kits on my S2 with a decat and sports exhaust (k-series) and found the hurricane to be the best in terms of fit, price, quality and performance. The suck noise from the left intake is fantastic

How did you get the chance to fit all of them?

hey bob, the car already had the itg carbon kit on it but i didnt know in advance and had bought the hurricane kit. My friend owns a yellow S2 with a pipercross and so one lazy sunday we decided to swap about a bit for fun to see what was best. We both concluded the hurricane was best.

and in any case, as someone has pointed out before, there is more chance of Alien invasion than a production Yota engine going pop.

Mark [/quote]

Oh yeah hahahahahahahahahah

Tell me when to stop laughing

But first, read my thread in the non-K series bit

Tim.

Tim,

It was after reading your post that I thought I might as well wait on engine mods to be sure that the engine is up to scratch. I figure I’ll do a Hurricane kit, and Quicksilver exhaust after the first couple of thousand miles. The car is plenty of fun as is!

-robert

Hi Rob,

2. The car is plenty fast as is. And with a stage 1 exhaust after 800 miles is sounding fine,
  3. The 240r supercharge kit wil probably be out by the end of summer, and will be installable under warranty by Lotus.

I’m thinking my first mods will be; stainless brake lines and Mintex 1144 pads. It’s brake feel in the S2 that I have the most problem with.

If you do decide to go with an induction kit it seems that the Hurricane/Reverie with ducting right to the onside pod for cold air would be the way to go.

Keep us informed if you go down this road. We S2 drivers are going to need to lean on eah other a bit for tips as we build up some experience.

-robert

Robert,

I drove the dealers demo 111R and found the brake pedal with no dead travel at the top of the pedal and firm as it should be. I asked what they had done and they said just bled them.

So at my first service last friday I got them to do the same - and by God they were right - Now spot on for easy heal/toeing etc.

Done at Pete Smiths in Derby.

Rich

I drove the dealers demo 111R and found the brake pedal with no dead travel at the top of the pedal and firm as it should be. I asked what they had done and they said just bled them.

So at my first service last friday I got them to do the same - and by God they were right - Now spot on for easy heal/toeing etc.

I suspect that you will probably find the pedal feel goes all spongey again after a session or two on track, unless the full upgrade is done ie braided hoses, racing fluid & decent pads.However, if you don’t intend tracking it, you should be fine

Rob
Another source of induction kit maybe, InForceAir
John

If adding these induction kits really makes a difference then why dosn’t Lotus fit them as standard ??

Or is it the noise that most people fit them for ??

Manufacturers can’t fit induction kits and sports exhausts as standard as they have to get the car through failry strict drive by noise tests for type approval. An induction kit will give a small bhp benefit, but also sounds way better. To me the noise a sports car makes is an essential ingredient in its overall appeal.

If adding these induction kits really makes a difference then why dosn’t Lotus fit them as standard ??

Or is it the noise that most people fit them for ??

Hmm, can’t just be bleeding tho. I had braided hoses comp fluid and pagids fitted to mine and it still has the dead travel at the top. Mine is an early car (april 2004) so I wonder if they changed anything?

Regards
John

What does bleeding do? Just get any air bubbles out?

Hmm, can’t just be bleeding tho. I had braided hoses comp fluid and pagids fitted to mine and it still has the dead travel at the top. Mine is an early car (april 2004) so I wonder if they changed anything?

Regards
John

Did you do the whole turn the front calipers upside down to make sure all the air is out of the union between the two?