Impromptu Audi test drive

Today I went to collect the Land Rover tow-vehicle I’m going to be using for my upcoming trackdays (heck the Capri has only had one outing in 2yrs !)

Brian who was kindly taking me to collect it mentioned that we were going past Bernard Scouses house and would I be interested in seeing the car he’s currently working on… we had some time to kill so figured, what the heck… as you know, I’ve been curious about the conversion anyway.

In short… I want one. I want that conversion soooo badly.

I’ve driven Honda powered Elises and been relatively happy with the performance, not as fast as my TT260, but quick enough and a good leap ahead of the K-series.

This conversion is simply in another league in terms of performance… As you know, I’ve owned GT2s, Ford GTs, Ferraris, and I was sceptical that all the hype about how fast the audi-engine was based on a comparison to a boggo Elise/Exige… but this seemed faster than anything else I’d been in (at least the way Bernard drove it !)… relentless power, seemingly no lag.

Now… I went out in the 250bhp version, but I’m told the 300bhp version is a monster by comparison… hang on… the 250bhp version is a monster, heaven only knows what the 300 is like… Just as well the engine is over the wheels, otherwise it’d never keep all that power down.

I could ramble on, and it’d probably sound like some marketing pitch… but it really is stonking.

BUT… My advice is… DON’T GET THIS CONVERSION.

Why ?

Because I want to get my car converted first !

Happy Motoring Mr admin…

So then David, will this finally be a car that you never sell?!

Ian

Are you referring to the Land Rover or the Exige ?

did Mike Lane ever sort anything out as regards traction control through the Emerald ecu for his car?

Are you referring to the Land Rover or the Exige ?

David - I hope you have a meat tray ready to catch all the damn oil that pisses out of the Landrover

My block paving looks poo at moment - turns out the latest leak is gearbox oil, so that mixes with the diff leak, the engine leak and the diesal leak

Its gotta go -

sorry rant over

Today I went to collect the Land Rover tow-vehicle I’m going to be using for my upcoming trackdays (heck the Capri has only had one outing in 2yrs !)

Brian who was kindly taking me to collect it mentioned that we were going past Bernard Scouses house and would I be interested in seeing the car he’s currently working on… we had some time to kill so figured, what the heck… as you know, I’ve been curious about the conversion anyway.

In short… I want one. I want that conversion soooo badly.

I’ve driven Honda powered Elises and been relatively happy with the performance, not as fast as my TT260, but quick enough and a good leap ahead of the K-series.

This conversion is simply in another league in terms of performance… As you know, I’ve owned GT2s, Ford GTs, Ferraris, and I was sceptical that all the hype about how fast the audi-engine was based on a comparison to a boggo Elise/Exige… but this seemed faster than anything else I’d been in (at least the way Bernard drove it !)… relentless power, seemingly no lag.

Now… I went out in the 250bhp version, but I’m told the 300bhp version is a monster by comparison… hang on… the 250bhp version is a monster, heaven only knows what the 300 is like… Just as well the engine is over the wheels, otherwise it’d never keep all that power down.

I could ramble on, and it’d probably sound like some marketing pitch… but it really is stonking.

BUT… My advice is… DON’T GET THIS CONVERSION.

Why ?

Because I want to get my car converted first !

Perhaps you should try the Supercharged Honda conversion, this is kicking out 300bhp.

From what I have seen and experienced the Honda is more refined.

did Mike Lane ever sort anything out as regards traction control through the Emerald ecu for his car?

The car is at Emerald for a week while they ‘play’ with it…

First on the improvement menu is a link between the exhaust gas temperature and the boost, so if it gets too hot we can reduce the boost, and with that safety measure we can run it closer to the edge of the envelope…

TC is also being worked on, but not quite there yet, AFAIK

Perhaps you should try the Supercharged Honda conversion, this is kicking out 300bhp.

Too late, I’ve already signed up for a 300bhp+ Audi conversion… which is a good �4000-5000 cheaper than a s/c Honda.

Not only that, I’m not aware of a Honda-conversion company that I would be happy giving my Exige to.

Not only that, I’m not aware of a Honda-conversion company that I would be happy giving my Exige to.

Strange comment, have you spoken to or visited Maidstone Sportscars as having seen their premesis, and the quality of their work I would be very happy to let them loose on my car.

Some of the other places who do the conversions I would agree and I would never let them work on my car but AFAIK Maidstone are the only ones offering the Supercharged Honda conversion.

Strange comment, have you spoken to or visited Maidstone Sportscars as having seen their premesis, and the quality of their work I would be very happy to let them loose on my car.

Some of the other places who do the conversions I would agree and I would never let them work on my car but AFAIK Maidstone are the only ones offering the Supercharged Honda conversion.

Laughs out loud for various reasons

David

I shouldn’t really be saying this (as they are a competitor) but from what I’ve seen there is nothing wrong with Maidstone or their conversions. The workmanship looks very good and the guys seem knowledgable enough.

Bernard

I think Mr Admin’s problem is that he hasn’t, in the past, seen eye to eye with the Honda conversion designer as opposed to the fitters (correct me if I’m wrong). Seems a shame to me as the designer in question is extremely helpful and knowledgeable, even though his opinions can be a little too forthcoming at times, and it would be good to have his input on this forum more regularly.

On the conversion front, I�m sure Bernard will be sorting something special out anyway. Any chance of getting it for Croft?!!!

Just in case there’s any misunderstanding, I don’t doubt the quality of MSCs work or their knowledge.

Just in case there’s any misunderstanding, I don’t doubt the quality of MSCs work or their knowledge.

From that I assume it is an ongoing issue with Simon and nothing else then?

It’s a bit like me saying that Turbo Technics are a bunch of cowboys, AFAIK they aren’t but as I have never been there I don’t know and as such wouldn’t comment on their workmanship.

Sorry if it sounds like I’m have a pop but a couple of companies I have worked for have had sales affected by nothing more than rumours and bullshit spouted in the press, as such I don’t like to see comments made about someone or a company which don’t have any basis in fact. If I know nothing about the company then I’ll keep out of it.

as such I don’t like to see comments made about someone or a company which don’t have any basis in fact

Hmm… I don’t think I made a comment about any person or any company, and since you jumped into defend MSC (who I hadn’t attacked) I went onto say that I don’t doubt the quality of MSCs work or knowledge. That should be enough for you. You still wouldn’t catch me spending money with them though.

Too late, I’ve already signed up for a 300bhp+ Audi conversion

My only comment is what took you so long!!!

From you r earlier comment - have you sold the Ford GT?

Yes… I only had the Ford GT for 24 hours… and then Tom Hartley made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… stonking car though, utterly utterly gorgeous to look at (I’ve always lusted over GT40s since I was knee-high)

Lucky though, because the day after I sold it, they were recalled. IIRC he was then sat on it for 3 months.

I am considering getting another… but the Shelby GT500 is looking very interesting… same engine… but only �26,000 (including taxes + shipping)

I’m glad to be back in the land of the Exige…